cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How do I import Proe files to PDMLink 10.0 ?

ptc-4511405
1-Newbie

How do I import Proe files to PDMLink 10.0 ?

We just installed PDMLink 10.0 and we have a large library of parts (in a folder structure ona network drive) thatI would like to import into our pilot PDMLink install. How is this done? Asked PTC, looked at theWCDataLoadGuide and must say I was a bit supprised at the lack of information on this subject, or at least info that I understood. Do you have any guides on how to do this?

9 REPLIES 9

Help>Windchill Help Center

Search "import" and it's the first item on the list. "importing to workspace".

It offers an entire step by step process.

[cid:image001.gif@01CD221E.3451C5F0]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

Great tip, for what we are doing this works. Took me a minute to find the Tools > Import to Workspace that is in the browser not in Proe.

Hello

You can use the import tool located in the work space, but this does not give you options to fix or massage your data. I have created a tool to allow you to check, modify, or add parameters to your models and replace formats, verify family tables, and export revision values from the Creo items to set the correct revisions within Windchill. The application uses JLink and Info*Engine to help you import your Creo items. If you are interested, please contact me at jfelkins@felcosolutions.com. I will soon have a web tool for you to do this.

If you have you .prt CAD models assembled into a top assembly, just open up the assembly inProE with an active workspace (in the context of the new Windchill server). Save to the woekspace and check in.

This is what I'm going to do with my ProE Windchill 8.0 models to migrate to the new Windchill 9.1 server. I'm migrating the data to take advantage of updated design (new & improved) OIR's.

Kathy

This can get very messy if you don't use the import wizard.

Number conflicts are a BIG issue when doing large imports. The Wizard helps you mitigate this in a very efficient way.

I prefer to mass migrate data using the following strategy:

1- Import your libraries in first to establish a one version of the truth

2- Import in all other assemblies/drawings.

a. When number conflicts arise during the import, always pick the components that already pre-exist.

b. Check your assemblies for data integrity after import.

[cid:image001.gif@01CD2394.79BC54D0]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

Steve,

When you use the import will the CAD docs update with the new OIR? The numbering, versioning and LifeCycle choice are part of the new & improved OIR's I designed.

Yes they will take the latest templates as defined by the active OIR you have in place. Its very similar to the Open>Save>Checkin process but adds the ability to deal with conflicts on the fly during the wizard. It also allows you to MASS IMPORT non-related components instead of doing them 1 by 1.

[cid:image001.gif@01CD2397.28263980]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer

By assigning a parameter to the CAD doc, our new OIR will create the Lifecycle & Versioning based on that parameter. In this way, I can create three unique CAD doc types as opposed to the one type limited by OTB.

Will the import allow my use this method in 'chosing' thedesired OIR? For example, I could move my library 'standard' parts (per plan) first using import vs. open / save.

Not to change the subject, the PDG (Drawings) are the big bulk of data that will need to be downlaoded from 8.0 and uploaded to 9.1. In this case,a script file will be very valuable.

Why are you having your CAD data use multiple lifecycles and versioning schemes??

[cid:image001.gif@01CD239E.B0DB4F20]

Steve Vinyard
Application Engineer
Top Tags