cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How do I relate a CAD .prt or .asm file to a document stored in Windchill?

wjamieson
4-Participant

How do I relate a CAD .prt or .asm file to a document stored in Windchill?

I am currently uploading numerical calculation documents for certain products to the Windchill system. I would like to relate the CAD .prt and .asm files of the products used in the calculations to the actual calculation document. How do I do this? I have tried adding a part to the "Describes Parts" section of the "Related Objects" tab (shown in the attached picture,) but Creo only allows me to relate the document to WTPART files. All input is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
soerton
5-Regular Member
(To:wjamieson)

Going from memory here.

1. Navigate to the WT Part associated to the CAD

2. Select the Related objects tab

3. Under Described by Documents, select Add (already in WC) or Associate New (Not in WC yet)

4a. If add, search window will open. Search for document

4b. If associate new, select document type then drag & drop or browse document on local system

Our preferred method is 4a since we can control where the document lives in our structure.

5. Ensure WT part is checked in.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jhall2
6-Contributor

Perhaps you are looking for the Edit Associations tool that is found on the PRT or ASM actions menu?

wjamieson
4-Participant
(To:jhall2)

I'm not sure which menu you are referring to. Can you tell me how to navigate there? Thanks!

jhall2
6-Contributor

The way it works, as I understand it, is that the CAD part is Associated to the WTPart. The drawing that the CAD part is in, comes along as well.

Other documents are related to the WTPart independently as Mark says.

Actions.png

I don't think you can relate CAD parts and documents to each other. The CAD model and document both would be related to a WTPart.

wjamieson
4-Participant
(To:mganzer)

Do you know why this is? What's the procedure for doing that?

soerton
5-Regular Member

Going from memory here.

1. Navigate to the WT Part associated to the CAD

2. Select the Related objects tab

3. Under Described by Documents, select Add (already in WC) or Associate New (Not in WC yet)

4a. If add, search window will open. Search for document

4b. If associate new, select document type then drag & drop or browse document on local system

Our preferred method is 4a since we can control where the document lives in our structure.

5. Ensure WT part is checked in.

Top Tags