cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

How to Deal with Password Protected Excel Documents During Office Worker Publishing?

ScottMorris
17-Peridot

How to Deal with Password Protected Excel Documents During Office Worker Publishing?

Curious if anyone else is experiencing issues with Password Protected Office documents while using the Creo View Adapters Office Worker? I understand documents with passwords are not supported, but when they show up, they block the publishing queue and prevent all other jobs from being processed until someone connects to the Office Worker machine and picks Cancel from the Office prompt. Maybe someone has a better idea on how to kill these stuck publishing jobs?

Is there a better way to manage these files in Windchill to support a more efficient publishing process?

We have been talking about creating a new document type or adding a new attribute to a document type so we have a hook we can catch in the publishing rules. Seems like a good plan, but it would be dependent on the document authors either picking the right document type or choosing the appropriate value for an attribute. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hari_Vara
14-Alexandrite
(To:joe_morton)

Hi Joe,

Yes I think time out can help here. Only thing is that PTC might have not really set it for Doc publishing as you know usually CAD takes time to publish in case of large assemblies and time out is used to knock out blocking jobs.

However, its useful to investigate on timeout surely.

Cheers

Hari

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

What about implementing a custom publishing class that inspects the documents to see if they are password protected or not. Similar to: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS229067

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:RandyJones)

@RandyJones has right solution but it looks like it would involve customization. If you think they are rare and infrequent, as you spot them, you can add to a list to prevent publishing. Also remind users not to do this. But adding a filter check would solve it once and for all.

Is there no time out? I'm not as familiar with the Office document publishing, but I know there's a timeout for CAD.

Hari_Vara
14-Alexandrite
(To:joe_morton)

Hi Joe,

Yes I think time out can help here. Only thing is that PTC might have not really set it for Doc publishing as you know usually CAD takes time to publish in case of large assemblies and time out is used to knock out blocking jobs.

However, its useful to investigate on timeout surely.

Cheers

Hari

we are going to try the long and short timeout values in the recipe for the office worker and see what it does. there are also some wvs properties that can be set, but we only want the timeout applied to office documents, nothing else. 

we changed the timeout values according to the Creo View Adapters guide and its now working as expected. password protected files timeout and the huge data only (not formatted for print) also timeout. thank you for all the tips!

Announcements

Top Tags