cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

How to add a new instance to existing installation on Windchill 6.2.6

ptc-2083384
1-Newbie

How to add a new instance to existing installation on Windchill 6.2.6

Hi all,

I have a development environment with three Windchill 6.2.6 instances, one for each different project, in a single server. I'd like to add another one (that already exists alone in another server), but I don't know how to do this. The former installation was made a long time ago and I didn't follow it 😞

The OS is Unix, on HP-UX 11i machine.

I saw that these instances are independent, I can start/stop tomcat, method server and server manager for each project. Each instance has its own folders for tomcat, codebase, src, etc etc.

The Oracle installation is one, but there is a different schema for each project.

Can someone help me?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,

LAURA

3 REPLIES 3

Dear Laura:

I have some situation like you, but I try to add more instance with one database, and it works, but not stable.

Hello Laura,

I am curious to know the requirement that is demanding this kind of configuration. As per my knowledge keeping multiple instances of windchill on single server should meet all software & hardware matrix defined by PTC for this kind of configuration otherwise they do not provide any sort of support.

I am not an expert of windchill but curious to learn about it. I have put my understanding and some comments about your problem below.

If I understand correctly, you are trying move, the instance which is running fine on some other machine, to the server where multiple instances are there and you say that each instance has their dedicated set of resources apache & tomcat etc and those can be started\stopped independently.

as per me before proceeding further it is better to consult UNIX administrator and get some information about existing instances like how it is managed in file system, had they created any ZONES within the local file system and compare the configuration of different instances. Once you know the how filesystem is devided then you can ask them create a similar space for new instance and there after execute normal rehosting procedure.

Please share the solution when you find for this problem.

Regards

Manoj

Hi all, thanks for your comments.

I think my multi-instance environment was created (a long time ago!) according to the Windchill matrix. At that time the support was ensured. But now the product (release 6.2.6) is out of date, then we don't have more support from PTC. We would had to upgrade to the last Windchill version, but the customer is still deciding what to do

In the while, I have to make some customizations on the old release. The last project created was integrated with the other existing projects in test and production environments, but not in development environment, which already had the other three projects. In a second time, there was created a virtual machine on W2000 Server OS, with the installation of the last project (alone). Now, the problem is that the server was infected by many viruses (it had no virus protection ) and the OS is not running properly. Because this, I was thinking to migrate all the data (cleaned) to the existing server in which the other three projects are working...

I don't think an Unix administrator can help me, I need help from someone who has worked on this kind of Windchill installation...

Best regards,

LAURA

Top Tags