cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change ref doc to describe by

SOLVED
Visitor

How to change ref doc to describe by

How can I change a Reference Document to a describe by document

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to change ref doc to describe by

What we finally ended up doing, in this rough order:

Disassociated all "Attached" parts/Documents.

Used PTC's ChangeTypeSql to get a general idea what columns need to be updated, and to what values.

Queried Oracle to located the correct document in the WTDOCUMENT table.

Stopped the MethodServers.

Backup up the database.

Changed those columns, limited to all iterations of the Document in question.

Restarted the MethodServers

Returned to service.

This appears to have successfully changed a "Reference Document" type object into a "WTDocument" type without any ill effects.

Thanks for the help!

=Don=

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: How to change ref doc to describe by

Can you give a little bit more detail? I assume you have a WTPart associated to a WTDocument as a reference doc and would like to remove that link and associate it as a describe by document. Is that correct? Is it just one or are you looking to do that in mass?

Re: How to change ref doc to describe by

We currently have a document, (Reference Doc type) that is related to a bunch of parts.

Ideally, we'd like to have this document converted to a Described By type, hopefully retaining it's existing number.

Then we'd create a new part, and set the newly changed existing document would be the "described by" document for the new part.

Thanks!

Re: How to change ref doc to describe by

Alcon has a home-grown utility and has been using it for ~ 10 years. Windchill shell command.  Input Number and type to change to.  Works like a charm. PTC's utility on this produces a SQL to be run directly against the database.

Re: How to change ref doc to describe by

What we finally ended up doing, in this rough order:

Disassociated all "Attached" parts/Documents.

Used PTC's ChangeTypeSql to get a general idea what columns need to be updated, and to what values.

Queried Oracle to located the correct document in the WTDOCUMENT table.

Stopped the MethodServers.

Backup up the database.

Changed those columns, limited to all iterations of the Document in question.

Restarted the MethodServers

Returned to service.

This appears to have successfully changed a "Reference Document" type object into a "WTDocument" type without any ill effects.

Thanks for the help!

=Don=