cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to copy the file content of the source object to the target existing object as a new iteration (or revision)?.

mparmenteri
5-Regular Member

How to copy the file content of the source object to the target existing object as a new iteration (or revision)?.

I am looking to perform a "Save As" operation on an assembly. Certain parts of my assembly have already been saved as the file name I want to use from previous "Save As" operations on similar assemblies.

Ex. PartA needs to become 123-PartA. 123-PartA already exists in WindChill.

I need WindChill to offer the override to create a new iteration of 123-PartA using my source file or allow me to substitute the existing 123-PartA into my assembly. The latter was available when my company used Pro/Intralink.

I have already performed the steps here to no avail.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS94283&art_lang=en&posno=2&q=saveas.replace.w.ws.content&source=search

I do not know what else I can do to get WindChill to allow display this override option.

Thanks you for any input,

Matt P.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mparmenteri
5-Regular Member
(To:mparmenteri)

A day after we updated the code on the server, it seems to have updated throughout the system. For some reason it didn't happen after our restart yesterday and didn't take effect until today.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

You have PartA on your disk and you need it to become 123-PartA in Windchill?

Open Creo

In your Creo browser, download 123-PartA from Windchill

Rename PartA to 123-PartA on disk

Open 123-PartA from disk

Save the file and upload/check-in

This should override the 123-PartA from Windchill with the PartA you had on disk into Windchill as 123-PartA.

Now for the big question....WHY are you working offline???????

When using Windchill you should always do your work while connected.

mparmenteri
5-Regular Member
(To:BenLoosli)

I am working online. I am using the File>Save As operation from the WindChill browser in Creo.

I do have a similar topic where I attempted to do this offline to bypass the problem I am having in this thread. Unfortunately, doing what you suggest does not work for my more complicated assemblies.

Matt P.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

This option does work.  We've been running this way since 9.1 M050 (now on 10.2 M020).  Did you restart Windchill after making the change?  Are you doing the rename in the workspace (not in Creo)?  After giving the objects new names you should get a conflict dialog with the little doctor's bag icon that let's you choose to checkout or revise and checkout.

mparmenteri
5-Regular Member
(To:TomU)

No Doctor's Bag, only a failure notification. It does allow me to retry it, but it just fails repeatedly.

Yes, I am doing the save as / rename operation through WindChill.

I did restart WindChill as well. As a side-note we are running 9.1 M070, so this fix should have worked fine.

Matt P.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Do you have the Windchill Site Preference, "SaveAs -> Allow Replace" set to TRUE?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Hmmm.  Actually our system is set to 'no'.  Maybe this doesn't matter....

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Here's a screenshot from some 9.1 documentation we put together.  I'm trying to dig up a way to verify that the preference is active...

overwrite.PNG

mparmenteri
5-Regular Member

That's exactly what we expected to see, but our retry options are just a blank set.

For what its worth, after we updated the .xml file and uploaded it, it did give us a successful load response. I do not know of a way to check whether it is active though.

It'd be convenient if you could manage it similar to the Creo config file.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Okay, here's how you can verify the value.  Take a look at this value in your database.

select name, defaultValue from windchill.PreferenceDefinition where name='saveas.replace.w.ws.content'

Interestingly enough, my XML file value is set back to 'false'.  I'm thinking this is due to multiple upgrades and CPS patch installs.  Regardless, the database value seems to "win" (at least until load from files is run again.)

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

If your PartA and 123-PartA are both in Windchill, are they the same design?

In Creo, do a part substitution to replace the assembly component PartA with the 123-PartA that is in Windchill and then save your assembly.

mparmenteri
5-Regular Member
(To:BenLoosli)

They are the same design, the problem is the amount of parts that I would need to substitute. In some cases, I have hundreds of files that need to be replaced. WindChill should offer an option to replace these parts and perform the substitution for me, hence the link I shared in my original post.

mparmenteri
5-Regular Member

A day after we updated the code on the server, it seems to have updated throughout the system. For some reason it didn't happen after our restart yesterday and didn't take effect until today.

Top Tags