cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to force a workflow to a specific task when stuck in limbo?

BrianToussaint
19-Tanzanite

How to force a workflow to a specific task when stuck in limbo?

I am using Windchill PDMLink Release 11.1 and Datecode with CPS M020-CPS08

I have a couple of workflows that are stuck because someone chose the wrong path and now they are stuck without a routing to go. Is there a way to force route them to where they need to go?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @BrianToussaint 

I know that feeling if a workflow is stuck .

My experience is that depends on how your workflow is designed.

If you have routes to go back in the forward path you can manually complete tasks to go where you want with correct routings by admin.

If not then you have to start new workflow. 

PetrH

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi @BrianToussaint 

I know that feeling if a workflow is stuck .

My experience is that depends on how your workflow is designed.

If you have routes to go back in the forward path you can manually complete tasks to go where you want with correct routings by admin.

If not then you have to start new workflow. 

PetrH

Hello BrianToussaint,

I confirm it is unfortunately not possible to restart/resume a completed workflow activity.

For such use-case the best way to go is to modify the workflow template to give it more flexibility and start a new workflow process.

I wish I could help you more as I understand how important this is for you.

KR,

Charles.

The problem was that I had forgotten to loop link the route to a conditional.

There is a way to restart an existing terminated workflow.

I know this thread has a Solution Accepted but wanted people to know you can backup a process using the technique below.

This technique could also be used to restart a workflow anywhere you want in the process.

The upside of restarting an existing workflow of course is that you keep all the workflow info that has been already stored (with the exception of data that is stored in the Work Item) and you pick up the workflow right where you were when it was terminated.

I made a test workflow and terminated it from the OOTB Process Manager.

Before Terminate

d_graham_0-1657985803526.png

After Terminate

d_graham_1-1657985803585.png

I then wrote and ran some code in a Windchill shell to restart where it was when terminated but I could have just as easily started it up

anywhere in the process.

After Restart

d_graham_2-1657985803514.png

Note the Start Time is the same in all images.

Where as this is suppose to correct an inadvertent termination I decided not to update the workflow's original Start Time. Although updating Start Time is doable.

Note the End Time is updated in the images.  

Note that the Expression and Synch robots were also terminated and restarted.

So, the long and the short of this is it's doable.

David

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:d_graham)

So if you can restart it, why do you think PTC doesn't allow it?  Is there any risk to restarting the workflow this way?

d_graham
17-Peridot
(To:TomU)

I would say as long the code if thought through there’s no risk that I can think off. The code I wrote uses all supported APIs.

As for PTC, I don’t think it’s a case of them not allowing it as much as it’s a case of they have bigger fish to fry (the need to be this is kind of fringe and likely very few customers have asked for it). I would say PTC does allow it. It’s just not OOTB. Much like other customizations.

Hi @d_graham 

The point is if workflow is stuck, not terminated. 

So question is can you enable workflow task if is executed? finished? that was the point in my opinion.

PetrH

@HelesicPetr , hi

I have not tested that exact scenario but my guess is the answer is yes, you could change which robot is running on a running workflow.

I have not tested how this would behave if you had to move the workflow backwards without running it thru a linked loop connector when you’d think under normal circumstances moving backwards through a linked loop connector would be appropriate.. That too would need to be investigated.

David

Top Tags