cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

How to import NX files to Windchill using background processes ?

lrade
5-Regular Member

How to import NX files to Windchill using background processes ?

We have Workgroup manager for NX setup, looking for new site CAD data migration to windchill, as data is small approx 20K files trying to avoid WBM migration process.

Need to know how to use background process to import bulk NX data in windchill ?

4 REPLIES 4
bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:lrade)

Hello Lukesh.

The company I work for provides migration services for loading data into Windchill.  I am interested in learning a bit more detail about your request here, as we are interested in tackling this task without the use of the WBM, as per your preference.

If you are interested, please send me an e-mail at robert.sindelar@eccellent.com.  Thank you.

lrade
5-Regular Member
(To:bsindelar)

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your service offer, actually I am looking for OOTB WGM feature to use for such import to avoid migration process.

MarkLobo
11-Garnet
(To:lrade)

Lukesh - The NX WGM does provide the OOTB 'Import to Workspace' command in the WGM client. You should be able to use that to import NX models into the workspace and then check them in. You should be able to find more information in the user guide for the NX WGM. That being said, 20K file is not a trivial number. You may need to consider some aspects like:

1. Are you migrating latest only or history of CAD data?

2. Are there duplicates within the 20K file you need to resolve prior to importing?

3. How is the data structured on disk - nested folder structure, single folder, etc.?

4. Do you have a good way to identity NX Parts v/s assemblies v/s drawings as they all use the same extension (*.prt)?

While this may not be the complete list, the point here is for you to consider the process aspects of migrating CAD data in addition to the tools.

Hope this helps.

Mark

lrade
5-Regular Member
(To:MarkLobo)

Thanks Mark,

Yes we did considered all aspects above even more about CAD data and we are almost ready to bring it in to Windchill, that's where I am trying to find automated options insted of importing it manually.

I did refered user guide for NX WGM, but it is not clear about import, I did find Import to workspace, but as I have to import 20K everytime I need to split it and then need to perform two actions to bring it in to windchill.

where as I am looking for the option to automate it little bit to avoid manual process.

Top Tags