cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

How to prevent multiple change notices on the same version of a Part/CAD Doc?

mdebower
18-Opal

How to prevent multiple change notices on the same version of a Part/CAD Doc?

Hey...

Does anyone know of a method to prevent multiple change notices being created for the same version of a WTPart or CAD Document?

For example.

• I have a WTPart, CAD Model, and Drawing for part 12345 version 2.5
  • A change request and change notice for one issue gets written against that set of data at that version.
  • The change notice is still in process when... Days later, a second change request and change notice without knowledge of the first change notice, is written for a different issue, against the same version of the objects as the first.

Two questions:

1. How do you handle such a situation?
  2. Can it be prevented in the software?

-marc

CAD / PLM Systems Manager

TriMark Corporation

4 REPLIES 4
kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:mdebower)

If I wanted to do this I would consider developing a Conditional Node expression to loop through the affected objects in a Change Request/Notice and determine if it is in the Resulting Objects of another Change Notice and then route to a human for resolution.

But the question is do you want to prevent it? Arguably, if there are additional Changes coming in you would want to consolidate as much as possible and incorporate in an open Change if possible. Any of this would be a change in scope of the Change Notice being implemented and may impact Effectivity, schedule etc. Adding in a spelling correction on a drawing where other modifications are being made is probably a no brainer but what if it means a tooling modification and/or planned production?

I would think each case is best evaluated indivudually to determine if adding on to an existing Change Notice is appropriate (by Revision maybe?) or if a second follow-on Change Notice is more appropriate.

When the first change notice is close to completion you don't want a second one fouling up the works (at least for the humans). For example if the first change notice has all the implementation tasks completed and the review and audit tasks are all that are left, we consider it too late to go back and add more changes in. Much less confusing to complete it and then work on a second one.

Earlier in the process you are correct, it is better to incorporate one or more change requests into a single change notice.

The situation that led to this question is an individual that ignored the change flag icon and wrote a second set of change request and notices. The affected data on the second was the same version as the first. However when the first change notice was completed, the second change notice should have had the latest version in affected data and did not.

kpritchard
4-Participant

Sounds like what you're looking for is code to evaluate Affected Objects to ensure that the Latest Version is included, probably at some specific point in the process (depending on your Business need).

I'm thinking that code to notify, or even swap out of date Affected Objects for latest Revision would be doable - the question is where to trigger the event? My first thought was the CR, but maybe it should be at closure of the first CN?

GregoryPERASSO
14-Alexandrite

We have the same business need:

-today, we just control in our ESI Windchill to SAP workflow that there's only one affected object link to one CN

and route to a fix task.

But as we plan to use dated effectivities, we may be add this control in the CN workflow and in the post processing of the CN create/update wizzard. On more globally to create a Listener to totally veto the action on the PRE STORE event of the affected object link

Top Tags