cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run Validation checks during Revise action?

joe_morton
17-Peridot

How to run Validation checks during Revise action?

Version: Windchill 12.0

Use Case: Our Windchill is currently configured so that engineers can revise objects outside of any change process. Typically each CAD model is related to a WTPart with an Owner link. Our rule (although not enforced in Windchill) is that CAD and WTPart must be revised together. We have the default collection set so that if the user starts a revise on the CAD model, the related WTPart is collected by default. Typically engineers use the default collection and everything stays in sync.

Description:

Recently, an engineer revised a CAD assembly and used the collector to add dependents. The related WTParts of the dependents were not collected. As a result, the new revision of many CAD objects was no longer linked to any WTPart. It took a significant effort to fix.

I assume a custom listener could be developed to run some validation during the revise action and block the revise of a CAD object if the related WTPart was not included in the revise action. My question is if there is any out of the box functionality to control the revise without using a customization. It looks like Business Rules can't be used outside of a workflow.

Beyond that, what is considered best practice? If Revise was limited to only within a change process, would it be possible to add validation rules then (without customization)?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @joe_morton 

The business rules can be run only from the workflow. 

So if you limit the revision just to the change notice/task, then you can run the check after the revision is done / task is completed.

So without customization you can not block the revision function in the wizard based on your condition. 

In my opinion the listener is good idea  

PetrH

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @joe_morton 

The business rules can be run only from the workflow. 

So if you limit the revision just to the change notice/task, then you can run the check after the revision is done / task is completed.

So without customization you can not block the revision function in the wizard based on your condition. 

In my opinion the listener is good idea  

PetrH

Hello

I would like to inform you that FELCO Solutions offers a Windchill Object Validator plugin that validates objects within Promotion Requests, Change Objects, Workflows, or actions based on your business rules. The plugin provides numerous out-of-the-box business rule combinations and supports custom business rules tailored to your company's needs. Go to the below url to learn more. 

https://www.felcosolutions.com/objectvalidator

I hope this helps. 

Announcements

Top Tags