cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to start an application on client machine from code on Windchill method server

sbegum-2
11-Garnet

How to start an application on client machine from code on Windchill method server

Hi, I have a requirement wherein I need to start a Windows application (E.g. Notepad/PDF Reader) to open a file downloaded from Windchill on the client machine automatically from the code that would be running on the Method server. It would trigger from a Windchill UI action. As of now, I am not able to figure out how to get the client machine Runtime information to handle such a scenario. Or is there some other way to achieve this in Windchill? Any clue/suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks! .

1 REPLY 1
DanHarlan1
4-Participant
(To:sbegum-2)

I'm not a coder, so maybe there is a way, but wouldn't that be a huge security vulnerability if a website could cause code to execute on a client machine? I mean what's to say you are just doing something innocent like opening a file and not executing "format c:"?

But, depending upon your browser, it can be set to open files automatically for known file types (such as pdfs and Word files). Have you looked at that?

Top Tags