cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

How to work with units 'meter' in the part structure and combining this with Creo Parametric?

awolfert
4-Participant

How to work with units 'meter' in the part structure and combining this with Creo Parametric?

Dear Windchill users,

I am looking for a 'best practice' on using different units then 'each' while working with a Product Structure created from Creo Parametric.

A nice example is a cable. Suppose I have two pieces of the same cable, one piece is 1 meter and the other one is 1,5 meter. In Creo I have created two parts while in Windchill I would like to have on WTPart with unit 'meter' and value 2,5. I could create a Creo part being disconnected from its counterpart in the product structure. However, this requires a manual update with each change.

Ideally the value of the WTPart should update if changes occur in the Creo part.

I am looking forward to your reactions.

Arjan Wolfert.

3 REPLIES 3
GregoryPERASSO
14-Alexandrite
(To:awolfert)

Hello

for the "typical" cable and electrical harness case (and for each case where you've got potentialy a "flexible" part, but that you can not modelize as a single 3D parametric flexible part in proE).

You can link the different "form" CAD part with a "image link" or "contributing image link" to the same WTPart. For example:

-your flat electrical harness as "owner" link to the WTpart

-your harness with a first routing

-your harness with a second routing

etc ....

the image links permits to link different CAD 3D model, that represent the same WTpart (but different geometry because of the flexible nature and how their are mount in your product). But they will update correctly the quantity in the WTPart BOM. But which quantity ea "each"

In your case, as you change the lengh of your cable, you can use the above methodology. But you are more in the case of a eBOM to mBOM transformation.

if In the CAD assy, use 2 cad parts to represent your 2 cables. Link them as image link. You will have a WTpart eBOM with quantity = 2

You will then need to change view of your parent WTpart to "manufacturing" (in MPMLink), then split quantity and update unit to set 1 meter and 1.5 meter ....

The negative point is that the eBOM/mBOM comparator in MPMlink will show you difference because units are different in the 2 BOMs ...

regards

Gregory

Hi Gregory,

Thank you for your respones.

The use of 2.5 meter cable is in my view an engineering specification and this value should be in the product structure (eBOM).

As I mentioned, ideally the total length should be taken from the two cables modelled in Creo.

Regards,

Arjan

GregoryPERASSO
14-Alexandrite
(To:awolfert)

Yes you're right

OOTB, don't think Creo WGM can manage another unit that "each"...

May be by a customization .... be able to get lenght for each CAD part in a parameter ... synchronise it on a occurence IBA, and then summarize it on BOM usage link...

but not necessary easy. No supported custom entry today for "link" or occurence attributes ...

We need something similar for drawing balloon and BOM line number ... but no easy way to do this ....

regards

Gregory

Top Tags