cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

INTRALINK commonspace user folder

ptc-941814
1-Newbie

INTRALINK commonspace user folder

Hi All,

I would like to know if I can mimic the INTRALINK user folder in
PDMLink. The INTRALINK user folders are created as below image and only
the respective users have the access to it. It appears in PDMLink we
need to create folder domain for every folder to accomplish this or is
there any other method this can be done. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Giridhar

6 REPLIES 6
sbugros
4-Participant
(To:ptc-941814)

Hi,

When I did the migration from 3.4 to pdmlink 9.1 it had to option create
the same folder tree as in intralink. When it comes to permissions on
folders yes it is my understanding that if you want one user to have
full permission and everyone else to have say read and download a domain
should be set up for each unique user folder. If there is a more clever
way of doing this I would love to hear about it.

Thanks

Steve

Steven Bugros

Brookhaven National Laboratory

Collider-Accelerator Department

Building 911 B

35 Lawrence Drive

Upton, N.Y. 11973

631-344-3259

bugros@bnl.gov

Steve,

What you describe concerning creating new access domains for each folder is accurate. Since this can be a fairly laborious task, Fishbowl Solutions has created a standard product that automates the task of configuring and maintaining these domains, the associated roles, and policy administrator rights. It leverages the out-of-the-box Windchill functionality but simple streamlines the implementation process. You can find out more at the following URL:

Wouldn't it be better to either create a project for each user, or if you don't have project, create a library for each user. Then you wouldn't have to fool with domains at the folder level.

David Haigh

Going from Intralink 3.x to PDMLink is an opportunity to re-consider how data is divided.
Generally better to sort of start over on approaching this - putting all data specific to each Product in a series of Product containers, then all other shared data (e.g. fasteners) in a series of Library containers.

Think long and hard about using Folders within these containers; many of the historic reasons for folders sort of melt away.

I would never, never, never consider a separate domain for each user - many other ways to approach.

I would second Mike on this.

We also transferred our folders from Intralink 3.4 to Windchill 9.0 directly. It was the only timely way to get through the upgrade back then (3 years ago). Historically we had created a new folder for each contract we won (we are custom build to order shop).

We have just recently restructured all our Product folders and Libraries by using the family group codes in our ERP system (SAP), to determine which product/Library folder the models and drawings should be in (currently we have MCAD items only in Windchill).

Now permissionsare giventhrough roles on the specific product folders. We then use those roles for our workflow approvals. Our permissions are a mix of setting access to certain roles, and global rules set by groups. It is my impression most companies do it this way, to varying degrees.

Eugene

amansfield
6-Contributor
(To:ptc-941814)

In Reply to Mike Lockwood:

I would also second Mike's opinion about re-assessing your data storage structure. Using Contexts with consistent

access rights can be really valuable. Prior to our implementation, after I had begun to realize the differences between Intralink 3.x and Windchill, I actually moved our Intralink 3 folders around to look like what Windchill would be after the we switched over, making the top-level folders match the new contexts. This helped ease the transition somewhat.

The biggest hurdle during a switch-over is that Windchill is NOT like Intralink 3.x and trying too much to make them similar could conceivably confuse or annoy your users even more than if you just aligned your data within conventional Windchill structures. You're going to have to educate the users on the differences and teach them how to use the new system anyway, so trying to maintain similarity can lead to more comparisons between the two systems, which inevitably means that Windchill loses the popularity contest. People don't like to change..

<-------

Going from Intralink 3.x to PDMLink is an opportunity to re-consider how data is divided.
Generally better to sort of start over on approaching this - putting all data specific to each Product in a series of Product containers, then all other shared data (e.g. fasteners) in a series of Library containers.

Think long and hard about using Folders within these containers; many of the historic reasons for folders sort of melt away.

I would never, never, never consider a separate domain for each user - many other ways to approach.

Top Tags