cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Import from Spreadsheet to Update attributes forcing State to Released

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Import from Spreadsheet to Update attributes forcing State to Released

I am using Import from Spreadsheet to update units of measure on parts. Seeing as I was only changing those attributes, I left State and Lifecycle blank. Odd thing though, it seemed to move all the parts to the Released state. Strange that it would do this since if I want to hold to previous state, I have to look it up for each part and put it in the update file. One would assume that if I did not proved a value, don't touch it.  Anyone else seen this? Does not appear to be documented.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rhart
14-Alexandrite
(To:avillanueva)

Both unfortunately

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rhart
14-Alexandrite

Hi @avillanueva 

It works for me as long as the spreadsheet has a Lifecycle column as well as the State column. When I removed the Lifecycle column I get the same weirdness like you described.

parteditSpreadsheet.png

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:rhart)

This is what I have

avillanueva_0-1628094274925.png

I can fill out the default Lifecycle Template but if I have to put the current State in there, it would require a lot more work. The columns exist, are you saying that just the Lifecycle needs a value? or both?

rhart
14-Alexandrite

Both unfortunately

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:rhart)

I tried it with just the Lifecycle template included and I "think" it worked and did not change the state. This brings me to my next point...

avillanueva_0-1628099114920.png

This grinds my gears. The import from spreadsheet is great for making mass updates. But why if I am not changing fields, do I need to include them? the only unique field is Part number. If other fields are blank, assume that they are to be left unchanged. I raised a similar issue with Cage Code which was an IBA, added column.  In a previous version, I left this blank. What appeared in PDMLink for that value? "Default", the word Default. It forces so much extra work to ensure that all these unnecessary fields are properly filled out to get validate to succeed.

Top Tags