cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Install 2 Windchill instances on same PC windows

HO_10736653
4-Participant

Install 2 Windchill instances on same PC windows

I am having one Windchill 12.1.2 installed and running on my PC with SQL Server. I want to install another Windchill 12.0 server on same server with Oracle Database. I have created separate oracle DB for same.

Do I need to create new DS as well or I can use already existing DS? 

Also Can I keep already installed instance running during new installation?

Other than this what other pre-requisites I should take care. I am looking for tips and hints from others who have done something similar. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mmeadows-3
14-Alexandrite
(To:HO_10736653)

Assuming this is a multi-version development environment, you can only run one instance of Windchill at a time.  That goes for installation too.  Shut down the existing installation.  If it is running, the new one won't install.  When finished installing, configure each so they don't automatically start with the server.  And (if you write startup scripts), ensure both are shut down (Windchill and Apache only) before launching one of them.

Both can point to the same OpenDJ instance.  Starting with 12.x, the LDAP becomes a common resource for all Windchill instances, like the mail server.

SOLR Server needs to be installed per each release.  I've run multiple Windchill releases against one SOLR Server and different sets of cores.  It wasn't terribly stable.  Just use search criteria instead of keyword search if you don't want to install SOLR Server.

The last version-specific change to the CAD Workers was 11.x.  So, CAD Workers can be common between 12.x servers if you choose a 12.x compatible WVS version, the Windchill URL is not changing, and you are only running one Windchill at a time.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mmeadows-3
14-Alexandrite

Assuming this is a multi-version development environment, you can only run one instance of Windchill at a time.  That goes for installation too.  Shut down the existing installation.  If it is running, the new one won't install.  When finished installing, configure each so they don't automatically start with the server.  And (if you write startup scripts), ensure both are shut down (Windchill and Apache only) before launching one of them.

Both can point to the same OpenDJ instance.  Starting with 12.x, the LDAP becomes a common resource for all Windchill instances, like the mail server.

SOLR Server needs to be installed per each release.  I've run multiple Windchill releases against one SOLR Server and different sets of cores.  It wasn't terribly stable.  Just use search criteria instead of keyword search if you don't want to install SOLR Server.

The last version-specific change to the CAD Workers was 11.x.  So, CAD Workers can be common between 12.x servers if you choose a 12.x compatible WVS version, the Windchill URL is not changing, and you are only running one Windchill at a time.

rleir
17-Peridot

You could run a few VM's, one for each WC installation. WC is complex, I would not try to install more than one on a server.

Short answer is yes but it will be more complicated. You have to ensure that your environment variables are separate for run commands, ports do not conflict and that have the right set of services started for each instance. I agree with @rleir that a VM would be easier to run to keep it separate and leave defaults the same. That's a lot to have running on one system. 

Top Tags