cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Intralink 3 - Release Scheme timing

JWayman
1-Newbie

Intralink 3 - Release Scheme timing

Cast your mind back many years, to when the Internet was new, cars had things called 'carburettors' and mobile telephones were the size of a small suitcase. That's right, when Pro/Intralink 3.4 was the latest & greatest.

We are still Intralink 3 users here, and we are looking at implementing a different release scheme.

I have a question that you may be able to advise me on:

In the process of an Engineering Change, the object (part, assembly and/or drawing) must be demoted to in work and its Revision must be changed to the next one (from 2 to 3, for example).

Given that our drawing format displays, clearly, the Revision and Version of both model and drawing, which of the following is the best course of action and why?

1. The engineer demotes the object to In Work, Changes the Revision, does the Engineering Change, saves the object (potentially several times) and raises anRTP form

2. The engineer demotes the object to In Work, does the Engineering Change, saves the object (potentially several times), Changes the Revision, and raises an RTP form

The difference is in when, during the process, the Revision is changed - before the changes are done or after.

I would welcome your thoughts.

Thanks,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
egifford
4-Participant
(To:JWayman)

John,

I would advocate changing the Revision before doing anything that changes the model / drawing. Reason being as soon as you do anything to the data that makes it different than what it was when it was approved (e.g. at rev 2), it is no longer that approved rev and should not be identified as such anywhere in the system. Even if that modified file only exists locally, as was typically the case with Intralink 3.x, it's no longer what it was at signoff. Roll it to the next rev then start your changes. Also makes cleanup easier should someone change their mind and decide not to move forward with the change. This approach is pretty much what the OOTB functionality in PDMLink sets up; you have to rev the approved file (knocking it to a modifiable state and rolling the rev to the next in the sequence) before you can apply a check-out and proceed with changes.

Erik

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
egifford
4-Participant
(To:JWayman)

John,

I would advocate changing the Revision before doing anything that changes the model / drawing. Reason being as soon as you do anything to the data that makes it different than what it was when it was approved (e.g. at rev 2), it is no longer that approved rev and should not be identified as such anywhere in the system. Even if that modified file only exists locally, as was typically the case with Intralink 3.x, it's no longer what it was at signoff. Roll it to the next rev then start your changes. Also makes cleanup easier should someone change their mind and decide not to move forward with the change. This approach is pretty much what the OOTB functionality in PDMLink sets up; you have to rev the approved file (knocking it to a modifiable state and rolling the rev to the next in the sequence) before you can apply a check-out and proceed with changes.

Erik

Top Tags