cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Is it possible to edit a ProjectLink 'estimated finish' date after it has passed?

cjohnstone
3-Visitor

Is it possible to edit a ProjectLink 'estimated finish' date after it has passed?

I have a user whose ProjectLink schedule's 'Estimated Finish' date has lapsed.  He would like to edit it and update the schedule without having to recreate it from scratch but currently has no options to edit any of the tasks.  Ideas?

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3

Is he trying to edit the activity or a resource assignment task? Is it a manual or automatic-execution project?

Typically, estimated finish calculated based on Work, Duration, and Resource Units.

We are set up for auto-execution.

He's trying to edit activities.  We are new to projectlink and the users are often not very good about keeping them up to date, so I suspect that once that project's estimated finish date passed, the project self-completed?

Currently, 'Edit' is not available from his right-click menu for anything showing in the Plan view, and options to Suspend or Resume the plan are gone from his Actions list.

At this point, I think he's giving up and recreating the project, but it would still be good to know if this is really what happens when the finish date lapses.

If the plan completed through auto-execution, I do not believe you can restart it. However, you can restart the project -- but I don't believe that will affect a completed plan or restart the plan. I would need to test that to make sure, but he can try it from the project Details page (assuming he has appropriate access). 

For his next project, he might consider manual execution? Or - and while it wouldn't be pretty - he could create a placeholder activity that has a really long duration that would ensure that the plan did not auto-complete before he's ready.

It might be easier if he exports the project as a template and then uses that when creating his new project. However, when creating the new project, I'd recommend deselecting the Start project and send invitations to team option until he's certain the estimated finish date is set far enough out.

Announcements

Top Tags