cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Is it possible to upload files having .art extension in to windchill?

Vinee
1-Newbie

Is it possible to upload files having .art extension in to windchill?

I'm having few files whose extensions are .art, .ipc & .drl files. I would like to know is it possible to upload these files in to windchill.

If possible is there any special steps needed to do that?

5 REPLIES 5
bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:Vinee)

At the very least, you can store these file types as WTDocuments in Windchill.

I assume you're thinking more along the lines of using the Workgroup manager, and that these extensions are associated with parametric modelling software of some type.  What is the authoring application for these extensions that you are using or are intending to use them with?

Hi Bob,

Apologies for the late reply. I was able to get those files inside windchill, once it is compressed and zipped.

Those are the extensions of files created by pcb routing softwares. I'm not sure what's the exact name of this software.

bsindelar
6-Contributor

Was there a particular reason you compressed the file before upload?  WTDocuments should be able to be uploaded as long as your size is supported by your web browser.

If you are looking to maintain relationships with other PCB routing files, you would need to deploy the use of ECAD workgroup manager to maintain that functionality.  Let me know if you can find out what the authoring application(s) for the files are, and we could further discuss implementation of ECAD workgroup manager in a separate thread, if you are interested.

The engineer who was working on the PCB designs just want this data to be there in windchill, so if he or some one else wants it in future can take it form there and use it. So he was not much worried on get those inside windchill directly instead of compressed folder method we selected.

I would like to know ECAD workgroup manager & whats its functionality. Engineer didn't disclose the tool he is using.

bsindelar
6-Contributor

The ECAD workgroup manager is the solution for Electrical CAD software (like Altium, for example) to use electrical CAD files within Windchill.  It integrates the ECAD tool to Windchill in an analogous way that the MCAD workgroup manager does the same thing with MCAD tools (Pro/E, CATIA, etc), if you are more familiar with that realm.

You have two options here:

1. If it is important or necessary to be able to open ECAD assemblies and have active revision control and use of Windchill functionality, then the objects should be imported as ECAD-type files in Windchill and the ECAD workgroup manager would need to be installed and configured.
  2. If your desired strategy is to simply hold the files for legacy purposes, then you could store them as WTDocuments within Windchill.  You would still be able to have revision control, but the challenge with this option is that assemblies would have to have all the components stored together in a compressed format.  Plus, if a component is used in multiple assemblies, you will need a copy of that component for every assembly, and you also will not be able to use other Windchill functionality like BOM structures and Where-Used reports.  Depending on your data and intent for use, this can still be a viable option too.

My company provides data migration/loading services to Windchill, and I'd be happy to discuss further options with you on this - feel free to contact me at robert.sindelar@eccellent.com if you'd like to investigate further.

Top Tags