cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Is setting wt.fv.fvFileThreshold needed anymore?

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

Is setting wt.fv.fvFileThreshold needed anymore?

I am moving vaults to a new NetApp volume and making long overdue changes to automatically create folders for that vault. I have 3 vaults that I will reduce to 2 so wt.fv.forceContentToVault is set to false properly (https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS68929?source=search. I also have the following set:

wt.fv.useFvFileThreshold=false
wt.fv.useVaultsForAllContent=true

I know in the past we hit some NetApp or OS limit on the number of files in a single folder but I think that limit might not exist (except for max number of files on entire volume). The vault folders currently have anywhere from 100K, 300K to 1M files in them and I have had no issues (xfs or ext4 I think). So the question is, does setting a limit even matter anymore?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomU)

550K files in a single folder after revaulting. My main vault has 13M files so I may set a limit just for sanity like 1M but its not for any technical reason. @HelesicPetr mentioned hit if you happened to peer into those folders so no harm in putting a limit. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi @avillanueva 

It was a limit of explorer that can show.number of files

Aslo it was performance issue. If there were 1M + files it took ages to load sometimes it was imposible to load all files..

I don't believe that Microsoft has solved that issue 😄

PetrH

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:HelesicPetr)

Same on RHEL but I never really cared to browse the vault folders.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:avillanueva)

I have mine set at 50,000 but I am using Windows Servers.

I found some references that indicate it is a Microsoft limitation of the index file they use for each folder.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

It's enabled out of the box by default now at 50,000 files, so unless you explicitly change it, that's what you will get.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

Unless use threshold is set to false. I am at 156000 files and counting as it revaults.

avillanueva
22-Sapphire II

550K files in a single folder after revaulting. My main vault has 13M files so I may set a limit just for sanity like 1M but its not for any technical reason. @HelesicPetr mentioned hit if you happened to peer into those folders so no harm in putting a limit. 

rleir
17-Peridot

The performance issue would show up perhaps when you have spinning disks. But nobody has those now.  

Arcane file system trivia: a large directory gets divided via sub-inodes and sub-sub-inodes (corrections welcome). When this results in access to several tracks on the physical disk, the seek latency kills you. 

Top Tags