cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Is there a way to unlock an attribute constraint?

mquayle-3
1-Newbie

Is there a way to unlock an attribute constraint?

I need to unlock a constraint on an attribute.  Is there a way to do this through the GUI?  I need to change the locked constraint to a global enumeration I've created.  Please also advise if it is possible to unlock a constraint after an object has been subtyped and the parent object also has the attribute constraint locked.

3 REPLIES 3
bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:mquayle-3)

A locked constraint should be modifiable in the Type and Attribute Manager by a user who has site or organization administrator privileges.  You should be able to outright change any constraint on a soft type or main type if the constraint was applied specifically AT that type.

If you are looking to change a constraint on a soft type but it is inherited from a parent type (whether it be another soft type or a main type), you have to follow the chain up to the actual type where it was applied and make your modification there.  When you then check in that type, the modification applies to the soft types and they will inherit it.

Are you familiar with the Type and Attribute Manager?  Or are you looking for specific instructions to make these modifications?

Bob:

Thanks for responding so promptly...your answer almost gets me there.

I am referring to the OOTB Project object and the attribute: Phase and the constraint on the attribute called "Legal Value List".  

The Legal Value List constraint for the Phase Attribute is locked.   I need to be able to either removed the constraint altogether, or edit the Legal Value List.

I have created a subtype of the Project which needs to have different Phase names.

I have admin privileges at the Org and Site Level....but I don't know how to unlock or edit or remove the Phase attribute constraint

bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:mquayle-3)

Ahh ok - THIS attribute is stored in an entirely different area.  Are you familiar with the enumcustomize utility?

Here's what you do:

1. Go to your Windchill application server and open a WC shell
  2. Enter this command:  enumcustomize
  3. A java applet window will open up.  Hit the "Browse" button and you should be at <WC_HOME>/codebase.  From here, go to "wt", then "projmgmt", then "admin" and open the file "ProjectPhaseRB.RB.ser".
  4. When you open it, you will see a list of phases.  You will also see a "New" button.  Click that (make sure the "replacement" tick box is NOT checked) and fill in a name, key, and display name for your new phase(s).  It's easy enough to just follow in the same style as the rest of the file.
  5. Note you can also HIDE other phases by removing the "selectable" box on them, but I'd advise against deleting any phases.  If a project uses a phase and that phase is deleted, bad things will happen!

Once you finish your phases, hit "Save" and when you are prompted to rebuild the resource, hit "OK".  Once you receive confirmation that the resources were rebuilt, you can hit exit.

Now SOME of the resource bundles require a little more work to take effect, so if you do not see your new phases in Windchill, do the following (note:  requires downtime):

1. Open a Windchill Shell (rest assumes your working directory in the shell is <WC_HOME>)
  2. Stop Windchill (use the services if you have WC configured as a service)
  3. Run the resource build again with this command:  ResourceBuild wt.projmgmt.admin.ProjectPhaseRB.  Should take less than a minute to run.
  4. Once you get a success message, run this command:  ant -f codebase/makejar.xml.  This will take a few minutes to run, but likely less than 5.
  5. Once this command completes, start Windchill back up.

Once Windchill is running, you should see your new phases.

If you have any other Windchill questions, feel free to reach out to me directly at robert.sindelar@eccellent.com or check out my company's website at www.eccellent.com.  We'd be happy to help you further, any way we can!

Top Tags