cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Issue related Windchill user managment

aakolkar
4-Participant

Issue related Windchill user managment

Hello fellow Windchill Users,

Need to discuss the following scenario,

User active as well as “(deleted)”:

On querying for users using wcadmin- the user say for example “psachin” is found active as follows:

However the same user is displayed as “psachin(deleted)” as follows:

New in this role and not aware who has created these “(deleted)” users. Such “(deleted)” users cannot be queried using wcadmin login and Windchill UI. Also, we have certain CAD documents which are checked-out by such “(deleted)” users. The objects checked-out by such “(deleted)” cannot be searched using Windchill UI even using advanced search. 

By the way….  this has been there before I started working in this role. Have now implemented the policy as recommended by PTC of not deleting a user and just changing their password and moving them to a group called “deactivated users”

But need to know HOW-

• such “(deleted)” users can be queried in the Windchill database without the UI or LDAP (if it is LDAP issue)
  • the objects checkedout by “(deleted)”  can be checkedin

Windchill8.0M030(planning to upgrade soon)

Thanks in advance!

~Amol

Atlas Castalloys (Silicon Meadows Design Ltd.-Pune India)

3 REPLIES 3
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:aakolkar)

It is really odd that PTC uses the word "Delete" here.  I did a very similar methodical study a while back on this.

The action deletes from Windchill DS, but not from the Oracle (or SQL SVR) database - if the user has ever logged on.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I can't speak to Windchill 8, but in 9.1 there is a "switch" that can be enabled to allow deleted users to show up with (Deleted) after their names.  Once this is turned on they can be searched for using the advanced search page.

If you have a user listed two times (or more) and one of them has "(Deleted)" after their name, then at some point in the past that user was manually deleted from Windchill and then at later was either manually recreated or automatically recreated (possibly from Active Directory integration.)  Unfortunately there is no way to merge the separate profiles.

While an administrator can cancel a check out, there is no way for an administrator to check in work for a user unless they physically log in as that user.  Since this user has already been deleted, you would need to go into the database, unmark the user as deleted, create a new LDAP account, reconnect the (now disconnected user) to this new account, then log in as them.  Only then would you be able to check in anything they have checked out.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS17742

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

It's been a while since I've played around in an 8.0 system, but do you see these users show up if you go to Site  > Utilities > Personal Cabinet Administration? If these users are actually deleted, then deleting their personal cabinets should do an undo checkout on any checked out work.

Top Tags