cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

JRE requirement for windchill PDMLink 11.0

rbaldwin
4-Participant

JRE requirement for windchill PDMLink 11.0

could anyone clarify the requirement for the latest version of Java runtime when using Windchill PDMLink 11.0 ?

the software matrices document suggests that you require Java runtime version 8 or later but it also suggests that it supports Chrome which no longer supports Java.

Our issue is that we are stuck on an older version of Java runtime due to legacy software not supporting version 8. we don't want to go through the migration of windchill from 10.1 to 11.0 only to find that the clients no longer work within Creo.

2 REPLIES 2
LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:rbaldwin)

Richard,

If you have to stay on an earlier version of the JRE on your clients then 11.0 is probably not your best option at this time. While we are working to phase out the Java applets within Windchill, not all of them have yet been converted, and we do not guarantee that the remaining applets/client functions will work if you use a non-supported version of the JRE.

jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:LoriSood)

Following up on what Lori said, all remaining applets, i.e. those which have not been converted to an HTML UI, will not work with any JRE version prior to 8.  Every single Java class file therein requires Java 8 (as you cannot allow the use of Java 8 language features in the source code without outputting the new Java byte code version).

As for Chrome most remaining applets should work there in 11.0 due to code put in place to automatically run applets as Java Web Start applications (rather than as embedded Java Plug-In applets) under recent Chrome versions.  I believe there may be some applets (and if so this list should be documented...) which will not run this way.

Multiple Java Plug-In versions have never really coexisted in a stable, effective manner.  I am not sure whether running via Java Web Start applications gets you around this issue.  [And, yes, if it did one could force this treatment on browsers other than Chrome if need be.]

Top Tags