cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

James Mail Server Integration With Windchill

kchaithanya
8-Gravel

James Mail Server Integration With Windchill

Hi All,

I've installed Windchill 10.2 M030 in test machine and would like to integrate windchill with James Mail Server.

So, for that I've downloaded and configured James Mail(Apache James 2.3.2)  by adding some users of my domain.

After this, set below property through xconfmanager in Windchill shell

xconfmanager -t codebase/wt.properties -s wt.mail.malhost=plm.adroitecinfo.com:25

(plm.adroitecinfo.com is  host name of my server)

Now, I'm trying to send a sample document from my Windchill to one user which I've already added while configuring James, but unable to get any mail.

Note: I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird as mail client in my Windchill test server.

As I'm trying this for first time, I need suggestions to overcome this problem.

Kindly request you to help me out.

Thanks In Advance

7 REPLIES 7
jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:kchaithanya)

You have a typo: "malhost" vs. "mailhost" in your xconfmanager line.

Otherwise Windchill doesn't care about which mail server you use -- as long as it supports SMTP and you configure Windchill to send mail its way.

[Yes, with newer releases one can handle "smpts" / TSL / SSL as well, so, yes, one can send mail via gmail or the like -- assuming your IT department isn't blocking gmail, which they probably are.]

BineshKumar1
12-Amethyst
(To:jessh)

I am just wondering from which release onwards we do have TLS support?

jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:BineshKumar1)

I am not sure exactly.  I know the process is simply to add the normal JavaMail properties required to wt.properties, but I don't recall when that started working.  I believe it was in some MOR, not an initial release, and probably some MOR of 10.1, but I'm really not sure.

BineshKumar1
12-Amethyst
(To:jessh)

I was quite surprised that most of the TS Articles still points out that TLS is unsupported. By the way, I could get TLS work using Java mail from properties from com.sun.mail.smtp (JavaMail API documentation) . Thanks Jess.

jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:BineshKumar1)

It was not supported in the past.  When the issue was resolved, it was essentially an internal preventative maintenance measure, not a documented project or bug fix, so it's unsurprising that TS missed the change in status.

Hi Jess,

Can you please share the steps/procedure to configure TLS, If Windchill Supports.

Thanks

jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:maheshkumar)

As per my note above, this should be doable by adding appropriate JavaMail properties (as described in the JavaMail API documentation) to wt.properties (via normal xconf means).  Binesh Kumar's note above verifies that this is possible -- at least with sufficiently recently releases.

It has been a long time since I have personally set up such a configuration (which I did for testing only, being a developer), so I cannot provide any further details.

Top Tags