cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Joint design development concern

psamuel-2
4-Participant

Joint design development concern

During joint design development, We expect some of our design group to collaborate only on very limited 3D Models and &2D drawings (which are part of a bigger assembly). So, we decided to share only those 3D Models and &2D drawings to project and ask them to start working on the same.

However, they're not able to modify it until we provide access to them in the Product. In that case, they would be able to see the entire assembly(all parts which are not required for them to View). How this scenario can be handled and joint design development can happen ?

is this something achievable through PDMLink & ProjectLink ?

7 REPLIES 7

We've used this workflow, but only in an extremely limited capacity (maybe 1 part in design).

You said, "However, they're not able to modify it until we provide access to them in the Product" - I think you may be missing some steps.

For CAD created in a Product, if it shared to a Project, it is view-only to those in the Project. You have to perform a PDM Checkout to the Project to enable users in the Project to check out the CAD. When the model is checked out to the Project, users in the Product cannot check it out. The CAD can be checked out / checked in several times in the Project. The Product is not updated until a PDM Check in is performed. 

psamuel-2
4-Participant
(To:joe_morton)

To perform a PDM Checkout to the Project, it requires the user need to be part of the Product team with check-out access in Product. That is were my concern lies.

It seems like the user should be part of both Product and Project to work in this way.

I see your concern. Essentially, it's set up so that someone on the internal team transfers ownership of the part to the external team. When the external team is done working on that design (or when it's time for a review), you do the PDM check in so the internal team can see the updates. It's not really set up for live collaboration - more of a back and forth. It may require the external team to email someone on the internal team when edit access is required to a specific part. At least that's the way we used it.

psamuel-2
4-Participant

I got the approach. However my concern here is once we give check-out access to that part in product, how we can control the check-out ? because it can be checked-out both from Product as well as Project by the external user. This is the risk involved in.

Any suggestions for the above stated risk mitigation ?

The design can only be checked out from one place at a time. I think of it this way:

The design ownership can be passed back and forth between the Product and the Project. If the part was created in the Product, then the Product has the initial ownership. A PDM Checkout to the Project passes the ownership to the Project. At that point, the design team that has only access to the Product can no longer check the part out to make edits. The design team working in the Project can now check it out and make edits. To pass the ownership back, the individual doing work must check in the design to the Project, then a PDM check in must be performed. 

This is why an individual really shouldn't have edit access in both places. It is possible, but gets confusing because they have to switch hats

psamuel-2
4-Participant

End of the day, the check-out permission should be given in both Product & Project for that user and he/she can able to perform check-out only in one place(Either Product (or) Project). Am i right in my understanding ?

I'd recommend setting it up in this way:

Internal Team

• All designers have check out permissions in Product - allows them to edit designs
  • One or more Collaboration Managers (out of the box role) in Product AND Project - allows them to share reference files and do PDM Checkout / Check In. You'll probably need to specifically train this group

External Team

• All designers have check out permissions in Project - allows them to edit designs
Top Tags