cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Learning Windchill Customisation

AmarKarthi_Aras
2-Guest

Learning Windchill Customisation

Hi all,

Can someone guide me whats the basic knowledge that one should have to start learning Windchill Customisation?

I have working and implementing knowledge on the concepts of Windchill and Business administration with a fair knowledge on Java Programming, but still I don't understand how and where to use the Windchill API that are there in the documentation.

Thanks in advance.

Amar Karthi.

8 REPLIES 8

Hello

you can have a look also to the "PTC Customizer Guide", which explain how to customize UI, Wizards, add new actions ... and implement business logic behind, where you will use Windchill API

One of a basic exercise is to develop a java bulk loader, to create some objects or links in the Windchill database from for example a CSV file

or to add business logic in Workflow robot. for example test that all related Documents are released, before releasing the state of a WTpart.

regards

Gregory

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for your reply.

But can you please explaing me is there any way to understand the Windchill API or a ref doc available for that in PTC's Knowledge base?

regards,

Amar.

Windchill and InfoEngine javadocs can be found here once you get an installation up and running.

http://<host>/Windchill/wt/clients/library/api/

http://<host>/Windchill/infoengine/docs/apidocs

To start, I recommend you familiarize yourself with the following packages

wt.fc.*

wt.query.*

In my opinion, knowing how to update and query the database with PTC's persistence mechanisms is crucial. You should also understand how lifecycles and workflows work - and create/test your own. One of the product's biggest selling points has always been the workflow engine.

All of this is backend stuff. I wouldn't know where to begin explaining UI customization without any specific questions.

Yes,as Matthew says, hard to explain how to begin ....

Another interesting customization point is "listeners" ... which permit to plug your custom code on Windchill events, like SetState, Store, checkin , etc ...

But basically in the API you have to know :

the Business object data model: WTPart, WTDoc, EPMDocument, WTChange2 objects , etc ... and all the different types of links between these objetcs (have a look to the URL can help you to identify the Object you are looking)

each Business Object has his own java package, where you will find a Helper or Service class: which contains major methods to handle this object (navigate links, etc ...): example WTPartHelper

and other cross package, like Persistence, Query, Lifecycle , WIP, etc ... which contains also Helper class. but to manage business functionnality, like saving, set state, checkin , out etc ...

Chanhasen
5-Regular Member
(To:GregoryPERASSO)

Hi perasso,

I m exploring on Windchill Event Listeners.I know Basics like how to create and register a Listener.
can you please describe me how to call a listener from java Script and the types of listener events
like WorkInProgressServiceEvent,wt.fc.PersistenceManagerEvent etc...

Hello

you do not call listeners from javascript.

They are called when the Windchill event you have subscribed to is triggered ...

Some of the events are documented in the API (cf Matthew post above)

But the eaysiest way to find the event to subscribe, is to enable the event logs on MethodServer

set wt.services.verboseEvents=true in wt.properties

Then , do the User action where you want to plugg your listener ... and then get the exact events call hierrarchy and name in the logs ....

regards

Chanhasen
5-Regular Member
(To:GregoryPERASSO)

Thanks for the reply Perasso...

Surely there is a "Getting started writing listeners" documentation somewhere?  Can someone please point us to a link?

Top Tags