cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

LifeCycle Routing Question

davehaigh
11-Garnet

LifeCycle Routing Question

I'm looking at redoing our Life Cycles.
6 REPLIES 6

Do you route your CAD documents for approval or review like you would other
documentation? I doubt most sites will have checked that checkbox
intentionally. I would say leave it unchecked (regardless of the site or
multi org scope).

You can move from one Product or Library within the same Org with a LC that is defined identically in both. Would seem that this would also be true for moving between Org's, but haven't tested.

Doesn't seem like an issue though to simply re-create (export, then import) the existing LC from Org to Site, then move between Org's.

Sorry if I'm missing the point. I haven't looked at this in a long time so don't take this as the truth, it could have changed in later versions, but I thought that Routing checkbox simply made it available for "Routing" in Projectlink (nothing to do with PDMLink contexts).

----------

Yeah no you are reading it correct. Routing option has not changed its purpose as far as I know. I think a workflow has to be associated to the selected LC also. It was not specified if ProjectLink was installed? I kind of assumed it was but asked indirectly. Think there are actually two concerns in David's email. Waiting for him to clarify.

On the multi org and site level issue, if you want to move data between organizations, suggest you load at site level a LC also defined at the particular org levels. A workflow could move the object and reassign for you. Domains are your biggest issue. I think once data is created its not your lifecycle per se that is the problem, but rather that the data has retained a reference to its originmating domain in lifecycle template iteration and the object itself. If you have access as a user to both domains in at least read capacity moving existing data shouldn't cause an issue.

If the destination organization roles and principals do not have access in source organization, you are in for more work.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

I guess some history is in order. What I’m ultimately trying to do is take lemons and make lemonade. The question about Routing was merely academic. I wanted to be sure I understood what it did before I decided to leave it as it is in my sandbox pdmlink system.

The bloody history:

One immediate question that stands out to me do you create users at site level and specify an organization, but leave them in unaffilated domain or domain of that org?

Do you use the guest or members roles?

Any custom roles?

Do all users who are employees have read access to data or are supposed to?

Your biggest issue is any ACL's from OOTB Windchill left in the products and libraries themselves. Your adhoc lifecycle based ACL's are more powerful, the engineering staff just needs to be able to move and modify in destination org. They do not need create.

If you load the other orgs' lifecycles into all other existing orgs and grant a few folks ability to reassign lifecycle or create some change request process - a CR to correct location, it could do the work safely for you.

This all can be accomplished but even your background on the configuration is so high level, it might be a good idea to discuss offline.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
Top Tags