cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Link part number to different drawing

DonSenchuk
7-Bedrock

Link part number to different drawing

First.... WC8.0

I have a user that has created a drawing and model (123). The model is supposed to be tabulated for different color parts. Instead of tabulating this drawing by adding a suffix indicating color -- such as BLK, FOL, FDE, etc. -- the user simply pulled new part numbers (but no models created). This drawing is now repsonsible for part 123, 456, 789, and 007.

When users do a search within Windchill for 123, they find the correct drawing. When they do a search for 456, 789 or 007, they find nothing. I need a search for every number to find the correct drawing, but the answer cannot contain reference to WTParts.

I know I could add attriubutes, but I know the backlash from the worst of my user base would be frequent and loud. They wouldn't know when to use a general search and when to search for attributes. Some of them could be taught and would adjust just fine, others not so much. I know this is a matter of repetitious training, so it could be accomplished with time. My question is this; is there a method I'm not seeing of allowing a search for the added numbers to yield the proper drawing?

(Normally I'd say just obsolete the numbers and start over, but that is meeting a lot of resistance from other departments.)

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
MartinHill
4-Participant
(To:DonSenchuk)

You do not mention which CAD system you are using but lets assume it is ProE or Creo.

Option 1.

You could create empty CAD models with the part numbers of the other colours e.g. 456, 789 etc.

These empty CAD models can be added to the drawing as additional models which have no views.

That should then link all models to the same drawing and will resolve the searching issue.

However, if you are using vizualizations the empty models will have an empty viewable.

Option 2.

Create a family table using part 123 as the generic.

Set the appropriate colour and part number to the instances.

This will link it all together and give you the correct colour of viewable for each model.

If you are not using ProE or Creo there should be a very similar fix in CATIA or NX.

Top Tags