cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Linking files in Windchill

AdamDorsch
6-Contributor

Linking files in Windchill

We are currently on Windchill 10.0 m040.

We want to load some excel files into the system; the issue is that there is one summary document that links to different documents where the data is entered by the technicians.

So far I have not been able to make this work when the files get loaded into Windchill. I have tried thru the standard browsers upload and using Desktop Integration.

Am I doing something wrong or is this linking not possible utilizing Windchill?

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The folder that you see using Desktop Integration is not a real operating system's File System folder. So what you are trying to accomplice is not going to work using Desktop Integration.

You will have to download or copy all the excels uploaded in Windchill to local folder to make it work (Not Desktop Integration folder)

If that is not an option

Either you have to individually upload the linked excels first and get their URLs and update links of cells in doc1 and upload doc 1. So you are referring to each other by URL as oppose to local file system link.

Or

This is a little more work - You will have to automatically have Windchill update local links to reflect Windchill link while uploading. You will have to use CAD worker for this and will need some work.

Thank you

Sudeep Bhattarai

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AdamDorsch
6-Contributor
(To:AdamDorsch)

Can anyone help me with this question?

So excels are linked to each other locally? Are you able to upload the excels?

Are you trying to upload excel files and somehow have summary excel linking to other excels loaded in Windchill instead? Need some clarification here..

Sudeep Bhattarai

Right now they are on a network drive (S:\) and cells in doc 1 are linked to cells in doc 2.

When I upload them they lose the linking (get an error when opening them that the link cannot be found). I try to browse to the file stored in Windchill to re-establish the links but cannot gt that to work.

doc 1 is the file the technicians put the test data into

doc 2 is a summary file for managers and others to look at

The folder that you see using Desktop Integration is not a real operating system's File System folder. So what you are trying to accomplice is not going to work using Desktop Integration.

You will have to download or copy all the excels uploaded in Windchill to local folder to make it work (Not Desktop Integration folder)

If that is not an option

Either you have to individually upload the linked excels first and get their URLs and update links of cells in doc1 and upload doc 1. So you are referring to each other by URL as oppose to local file system link.

Or

This is a little more work - You will have to automatically have Windchill update local links to reflect Windchill link while uploading. You will have to use CAD worker for this and will need some work.

Thank you

Sudeep Bhattarai

Top Tags