cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

MS SQL 2008 R2: Occasional loss of TCP/IP connection

mdebower
18-Opal

MS SQL 2008 R2: Occasional loss of TCP/IP connection

We installed Windchill 10.1 m040 back in April and have been running quite well.  Except, every once-in-a-while we get a Windchill Error: The TCP/IP connection to the host, port 1433 has failed.

This ususally lasts for 10-15 minutes and then it goes back to working.  So it is rare, short lived, and cant be reproduced on command.  A joy to solve, right?

Our set up:

Both the Windchill APP server and the MS SQL server are virtual machines.

Both servers are behind the same firewall.

Both servers are on the same physical hardware.

Actions so far:

Call logged with PTC.

Caught error and ran a simple TELNET test to see if it would connect to the DB server when we were experiencing the error.  The TELNET did connect.  This should eliminate any hardware / network issue being the cause.

PTC Tech Support says it is a MS SQL issue and to contact MS.

So, has anyone ran into this before?  Any suggestions?

-marc

20150723-083257.png

5 REPLIES 5

Are you able to find anything relevant from the SQL Server Logs.? If you navigate to SQL Server Management Studio > Management > Logs.

Also see whether you have maxconnections set on the SQL Server instance that runs Windchill Database?

Also review the SQL Server configuration manager to see TCP ports and Keepalive has not been changed

Thanks

Binesh

Barry Wehmiller

Hi Binesh, thanks for responding.

I looked at the logs but nothing jumped out at me.  Of course, I really am not sure what to look for either.  Any suggestions on what would be important in this case?

The SQL server maxconnections is set to unlimited.

TCP ports are enabled and the keepalive is set to 30000 milliseconds.

-marc

Hello Marc,

In the SQL logs, you can apply a filter for all the logon source and connect message filter. It should throw all the connect attempts.

filter.jpg

This article from my  bookmarks is the one  which I used to troubleshoot a connection issue.( which turned out to be wrongly configured switch.)

Also please see if you have the latest sql server driver in the windchill and make sure that you have a stable Service Pack and Cumulative update as well. We observed this issue in one of the application some time ago. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2491214

Thanks

Binesh

Barry Wehmiller

Unfortunately the server logs for time period of the issue didn't show any entries for connect & logon...

I guess I will log a call with MS Tech Support and see if they have any bright ideas.

Marc,

Did you get any idea from MS Tech support on this issue?

Thanks

Binesh

Top Tags