cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Maintenance of log files

amelillo
3-Visitor

Maintenance of log files

Can you advise or recommend best practices for handling log files.

Thanks,

And

5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:amelillo)

Windchill 10+ will delete log files after 15 days.

Windchill 10.2m020+ will zip the files after 15 days and delete them after 31 days.

These settings can be modified to preserve all log files, but is there really a need to do that. I used to keep all log files until I wnet to 10.0 and let the system purge itself. Moving the log files to a subfolder of logs will not prevent Windchill from deleting them.

You need to ask yourself what value is there in keeping the old log files? The information in tghem is cryptic at best and gives no logging information. Logging information is in the access.log file in the WindchillDS folder.

jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:BenLoosli)

You can also adjust the 15 and 31 day cutoffs and even get custom handling of old log files by writing a simple delegate in Java.

That said, I suspect the existing 15 and 31 day cutoffs suffice in a whole lot of cases.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:amelillo)

Andrew, Were Jess and Ben's posts helpful?

Redro
7-Bedrock
(To:LoriSood)

hello

i have a question how help me file like trail.txt, dwg_log.out

what is this file? help me at a moment at time ?

tks

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:Redro)

You are asking a Creo question in the Windchill section - though these files may have been generated by Creo on behalf of Windchill

These files are outputs of Creo activity. Trail files record actions taken during each Creo session and Dwg_log.out is recording some information about creating file type dwg.

Try using Notepad to read these files.

Top Tags