cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Managing Multiple Design Alternatives (ie Design Branching)

jbland
1-Newbie

Managing Multiple Design Alternatives (ie Design Branching)

In Intralink 3.X there was funcationality called "branching" that would allow an engineer to manage multiple design alternatives (prototypes) of the same part number then finalize on one alternative. In a file/folder environment the typical way to handle this is to duplicate parts into folders to isolate them, explore different scenaros, then incorporate the released one option into the final design.

Consider this basic scenario with a part:

1. Bracket with holes has fitment issues
  2. Engineer would like to try 3 different prototypes but keep the same part number
    1. One with slots
    2. One with larger holes
    3. One with tighter tolerancing
  3. Engineer chooses the one with slots and Releases
  4. The other two alternatives are left at WIP, In Work, Prototype, etc.

So my question is what is the best way to handle this in Windchill PDMLink? We are using 10.1.

Let me know if my issue needs more clarification.

2 REPLIES 2
GregoryPERASSO
14-Alexandrite
(To:jbland)

Hello...

I assume you're talking about CAD datas , and not only WTParts

Cause with WTparts , if you need to track prototypes, you're able to manage views and alternatives

-You can use "Views" and "Usage and Altrenative" attribute. And will be able to create an alternative branch from your design View (for example mypart version A (design - Prototype - 1) and mypart version A (design - Prototype - 2) )

But need to have MPMLink installed. And no way out of the box to merge and select the alternative which will become the relesaed one.

-You also have the "one of version" possibility. You can creata a A-1 A-2 A-3 version from the A version. but idem only for WTPart I think, and no way to merge on "main" branch Out the the Box.

-And more complicated, you can use effectivities. to manage prototype as a lot or Serial numbered part. (if need of a formal tracking for certification, it is the more accurate.)

But Basically with CAD, out of the box, the simple way is to use save as function, with a naming convention (mypart-proto1, mypart-proto2) and then do a final save as to the name "mypart" when the good prototype is released

Some customers are also using a different Version schema to track prototypes. Numeric during prototyping, and alphabetic once released to production. Simple for single part as each version can live separatly in PDMLink (you can work on the A in a workspace and a B in other one....) But more complicated if it is in a assembly context, cause need to manage version of each level . (not necessary the LATEST ...)

regards

Gregory

Thanks Gregory,

These are all helpful things for me to test to see what will work for us. I appreciate your time.

Jason

Top Tags