cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Method Servers

ErikZabokrtsky
8-Gravel

Method Servers

I recently installed two Workgroup Managers, SolidWorks & AutoCAD, and in the process I went from (1) Method Server to (6) Method Servers. I was told that the WCA ran and it is what decided I needed 6 method servers based off of our Hardware Available. Well I wouldn't have an issue with it, if it wasn't for the fact that now there are separate log files for each Method Server.

This creates a huge headache when searching through logs to sort out an issue. Especially when PTC Tech Support has you turn on very intrusive logging and it creates a new 9MB file every 5-10 seconds...

Now Tech Support told me to go in to %WCHOME%\utilities\wca and edit the configurator.properties file, so that the max number of method servers was 2.

I also was told to change the windchillconfigurator.xconf file property of

"<Property name="wt.manager.monitor.start.MethodServer" overridable="true"

targetFile="codebase/wt.properties"

value="2"/>

After restarting the server it still starts up 6. I have been fighting this issue for a while now and just reaching out to other people for help now.

I can't find where else the amount of Method Servers is set. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:ErikZabokrtsky)

Presumably you didn't run "xconfmanager -fp" after doing the edit...

As for having separate log files for each process, that's actually pretty important to avoid bottlenecks around syncrhronizing writes to log files across processes, to avoid having to add information to each log line/event to distinguish which method server it's coming from, and to make the sequence of events within each method server easier to follow.

As for searching across log files, see wtcore/jsp/jmx/logFiles.jsp (or use grep if you're command-line-inclined -- in which case you should be using Linux/UNIX or have Cygwin installed). Also, see wtcore/jsp/jmx/logEvents.jsp for a unified view of sufficiently important (warning and error) log events. [Of course both JSPs require 10.0 or higher.]

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:ErikZabokrtsky)

Presumably you didn't run "xconfmanager -fp" after doing the edit...

As for having separate log files for each process, that's actually pretty important to avoid bottlenecks around syncrhronizing writes to log files across processes, to avoid having to add information to each log line/event to distinguish which method server it's coming from, and to make the sequence of events within each method server easier to follow.

As for searching across log files, see wtcore/jsp/jmx/logFiles.jsp (or use grep if you're command-line-inclined -- in which case you should be using Linux/UNIX or have Cygwin installed). Also, see wtcore/jsp/jmx/logEvents.jsp for a unified view of sufficiently important (warning and error) log events. [Of course both JSPs require 10.0 or higher.]

Top Tags