cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Migrating Aphelion to Mulitple ADs

patrick.chin1
1-Newbie

Migrating Aphelion to Mulitple ADs

My problem was that the users, were created manually in AphelionWindchill. Sometimes they were not the same value of the saMAccountName in AD.

I just thought of the solution. If the aphelion and AD user name is not the same value due to manual entry:

· Since every user in Windchill has a EMAIL Address (hopefully equal to the AD), I can perform a search in aphelion for the email address.
· Then perform the search for the user in AD with the same EMAIL (sometimes there are multiple)
· Before I do the set name, I’ll have to check if there are any duplicates of emails since emails are not the unique value.
· Filter out the duplicates of emails, clean them later
· Keep a track of the users that did not have a map in aphelion to probably belong to another AD or create the other AD for these external users.
· Then perform a sql to “update WTUser set name” based on the initial unique map (with domain if external).

For the duplicates, data cleanse to removesepartein another group.

For the names that do not have a mapped user in any AD,I’ll leave them in Aphelion to be migrated over to the Windchill DS.

That’s what happens when there is manual entry. It would been easier to just add the domain to the end if they were all just AD values with saMAccountName but the user do not belong to the same AD. We have to group them out of Aphelion based on AD and data cleanse them if their names are incorrect value.

Pretty messed up, but the <u>https:www.ptc.comappservercsviewsolution.jsp?n=130500<u> does help.

For those guys who started witha single mapped AD to aphelion and who would like to move to multipleexternal AD.

For your external AD, you can keep the internals with saMAccountName, and you just have to add the domain to the others that belong to anotherexternal AD. So, the external AD user will be mapped to principalname to the userid following TPI https:www.ptc.comappservercsviewsolution.jsp?n=135027

There are many cases where Windchill Admins have to administrate an external AD for specific for access (timed, constant password changes) where MISIS departments do not want to control. Plus, internals want to keep only to the saMAccountName.

We have a ton of users, it is hard to go one by one.

2 REPLIES 2

What happens to all in-process tasks or other references to that user? Aren't they all dependent on the username as the primary key for a user?

-Thomas R. Busch
Sr. Software Developer
Stryker Instruments

In Thomas great question regarding in-process tasks, I'll have to check but the unique index of the wtuser table is based on wtuser.name column. I'll check if we have to reset the running process. But good point, hopefully the in-process tasks are referring to a IDA3A# which points to the IDA2A2 of the WTUser table.
Announcements

Top Tags