cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Multi Level BOM Report with associated CAD Documents

cmarquardt
6-Contributor

Multi Level BOM Report with associated CAD Documents

I need a way to use the multi-level BOM report functionality, but have it also retrieve the associated EPM docs (Number, Name, State, and Rev).  Ideally, this would be in a new row similar to if you show CAD docs on the structure tab and export from that screen.  I am trying to do this without customization, so I have accepted that I probably need to bring this data in as columns and post-process in excel to turn them into rows.

I tried simply using 4 alias attributes (#, name, state, rev).  This pulls in the data perfectly, but it sorts each column alpha-numerically, so there is no way to tell which name, state, and rev belong to which number. (Doesn't work)

EG~ buildTarget@wt.epm.build.EPMBuildRule~buildSource^wt.epm.EPMDocument~number

I tried using a calculated attribute at the EPM doc level that concatenates the 4 attributes, and then using an alias to pull the calculated attribute into the BOM...  This doesn't work, as I think alias attributes MUST be modeled attributes and not IBAs. (I am not sure why)

A contact of mine let me know there is a way to get some combined attributes in an alias attribute, for example, using the following  "displayIdentifier" and "numberedNamed" in an alias attirbute I can get number&version and number&name, which I could parse out in Excel to associate number, name, and rev, but was unable to find a way to get the state in this way...

EG~ buildTarget@wt.epm.build.EPMBuildRule~buildSource^wt.epm.EPMDocument~displayIdentifier

Does anyone have any more ideas?

2 REPLIES 2

What about using the left side of the PSB structure tab? You can include CAD docs and add attributes to the view so it mimics the right side very well.  Then you can just export left side to Excel or other format.

So, we do not simply use the left side for numerous reasons, the main reason is that we already have VBA tools built specifically to handle the BOM in the format that is exported in the "Multi-level Report".  Another reason is that we have custom attributes that are only calculated during the multi-level report.  We also have over 20K line items in our BOM, so selecting all 20K rows and then clicking on show/hide is a bit a nuisance.  In addition, the way it indents the BOM (by putting spaces in the line number) is not very desirable.

I have considered doing both the multi-level BOM report and the left side PSB export and merging them together, but that seems like a lot of work also, partially for the same reasons as listed above, but also because we run these BOM reports very often, and it would be untenable to ask people to run two reports and merge them together every time.

Sorry I didn't respond before, I never got a notification that someone responded... 

Top Tags