cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Multiple roles in CM flow

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Multiple roles in CM flow

If I am a member of CA1 role in a workflow and approve an early step in the process, does this approval carry throw to my role as a member of CA2 later in the workflow?

If it does, then I need to create additional 'users' in Windchill so each role has a unigue ID for every person. Do these additional users also count as additional users for Windchill per-user licensing?

This was mentioned by someone else here who had to add the additional users at Windchill8/9 timeframe, but we are on Wc10m040 now.

3 REPLIES 3

It shouldn't carry through. We have a role for Engineering Manger in multiple places that has the same person signing off and they always have to sign off. Also, we have loop backs to the creator for "Quick Fixes" and it requires them to sign.

We are on 10.1m040 also. I just upgraded my test server to 10.2m020 and it is showing the same behavior.

kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

The same user can populate multiple Roles and each Role serves a different purpose. You could think of this scenario as the same person wearing different hats. The workflow will not recognize that the same user is popualting both Roles, so the approvals would not carry forward... same as if different users were in these Roles. Having the same user in multiple Roles should not affect your license count.

I'm assuming you're populating the Context Team and using OOTB Workflows or close to it.

Agree with all information provided by Keir Pritchard.

The following is only meant as additional detail information, thanks.

In a workflow within Windchill, for an Assigned Activity task, using the Participants tab, you can assign users, groups, roles, actors, teams or variables as the participant for a task. When you select Role as the participant, on the Resource Pool tab, you can assign Groups, Teams, Container Team to the Role.

It is up to you how you manage participant assignment. Same is true for Resource Pool assignment to Roles. It depends on your customer requirements.

When you add new users to Windchill, I.E a user that was not in the WC DB and LDAP, if the new user will not create content in Windchill (WC), the new user can be assigned a light license. If the new users shall create CAD content in WC, they require heavy user licenses. Depending in the products you have installed in your Windchill system, you may need several user licenses for each Windchill users. Example if you have PDMLink/ProjectLink and A&D products installed, you required a licenses for each of these products to be assigned to the new WC user.

Suggest you contact PTC for details on user licensing.

Top Tags