cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Named User

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Named User

We are having a discussion about named users and how many licenses we need for each person.

We have 3 Windchill systems for different criteria. All running Windchill 11.0 m030 and various CPSs.

As we plan for the next upgrade to WIndchill12.0 with Creo 7, and Windchill 12.0  seems to be not allowed directly from 11.0, so we will drop back and go to 11.2 first, then Creo 7, then WIndchill12.0.

Is a named user per Windchill system or just a named person within a company? A single person cannot be using multiple systems at the same time, so 1 license would be in use, no matter which Windchill system the user was logged in to.

If I need 3 Windchill licenses for my user accounts on 3 systems, that is a big expense.

If I only need 1 license, that is a more bearable expense.

I have seen the licensing HUB webpage and it still leaves me confused.

Does someone have a definitive answer to how many licenses I will need for 1 user on 3 separate Windchill systems?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mmeadows-3
13-Aquamarine
(To:BenLoosli)

Hi Ben,

Named user means the breathing person pushing the mouse.  Concurrency doesn't matter.  A user can have as many simultaneous sessions as they need.  I'm assuming your company owns all three systems.  If they are owned by different companies you may need to ask PTC how licensing is counted.

PTC licensing and audits focus on usernames.  Use the same usernames across all three systems to keep your Windchill configuration manageable.

It may be possible for a user to have different usernames in different systems but you need a way to identify and track them so they are not double counted during license audits.  It may be as simple as naming them 'user_sys1', 'user_sys2' and 'user_sys3'.  Windchill licensing only counts licenses consumed by the current system.  I don't recall seeing it count licenses in use in other Windchill instances.

If a use has multiple logins in a single Windchill instance, add the lower licensed accounts to the license exclusion group.  In other words, if a user has contributor and product manager accounts, the contributor is the lower level license and it should be added to the license exclusion group.

Hope this helps.

Matt

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mmeadows-3
13-Aquamarine
(To:BenLoosli)

Hi Ben,

Named user means the breathing person pushing the mouse.  Concurrency doesn't matter.  A user can have as many simultaneous sessions as they need.  I'm assuming your company owns all three systems.  If they are owned by different companies you may need to ask PTC how licensing is counted.

PTC licensing and audits focus on usernames.  Use the same usernames across all three systems to keep your Windchill configuration manageable.

It may be possible for a user to have different usernames in different systems but you need a way to identify and track them so they are not double counted during license audits.  It may be as simple as naming them 'user_sys1', 'user_sys2' and 'user_sys3'.  Windchill licensing only counts licenses consumed by the current system.  I don't recall seeing it count licenses in use in other Windchill instances.

If a use has multiple logins in a single Windchill instance, add the lower licensed accounts to the license exclusion group.  In other words, if a user has contributor and product manager accounts, the contributor is the lower level license and it should be added to the license exclusion group.

Hope this helps.

Matt

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:mmeadows-3)

Matt,

That helps a lot.

All of our users have the same username on all 3 systems, so that simplifies user name counting and cross referencing. The only people that have 'multiple' accounts are those assigned to use the wcadmin account. The email for that account, and some other admin accounts, all point to a single person, me as the system admin.

The 3 systems reside on our company servers. We are providing Windchill as a contract to another company. They are billed for the licenses, but our company pays the bill. I guess that would make all 3 systems company owned. One of the systems is on a secured classified network and not reachable by the other systems. The other 2 systems sit on virtual servers. We also have 1 set of backup/test/development servers on both the classified system and the open unclassified system. That actually makes it 5 systems total.

Top Tags