cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Need to write a service listener which could listen to external folder changes

wahmed
3-Visitor

Need to write a service listener which could listen to external folder changes

Hi All,

I need to write a service listener which could listens to any change, either creation or modification of an object, which takes place on an external folder (OS folder). For example, I have a folder on the server (same on windchill) D:\input. If somebody creates an xml with WTPart name,number etx attribute, Windchill should listen to the new creation and creates a WTPart in Windchill. Similarly, even if someone modifies a file under D:\input, it shall trigger a request to create a WTPart. I'll think of the validation later, but I'm not aware of the events which I need to check for and how to read data on that.

Please help.

thanks,

Wasim

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Wasim,

I think you can write a program using WatchService and invoke  RMI to Windchill to create a part. You have of XML parsers in Windchill which you can re-use.

Thanks

Binesh

Barry Wehmiller International

I was thinking of the same solution...however, this approach might complicate the windchill executions for other requirements...we need something which can be used as an adapter....like windchill listener services

I have seen someone using filewatcher and importer APIs to  create queued jobs to create/update parts.This seems to be a robust method. I will let the experts speak.

Thanks

Binesh

Top Tags