cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

On CAD driven BOM, hoses with same number, but configured differently. How to handle?

bradlawrence
9-Granite

On CAD driven BOM, hoses with same number, but configured differently. How to handle?

This is what I am thinking how to handle………you have a CAD model generic hose that is not used in assemblies, but maybe a drawing, it at revision G, it is associated to wtpart which is at rev G – link association is “owner”.

Then all other hoses with same number_hose1, hose2, etc are linked to wtpart as association “image”. From my testing, this allows any user to associate the new created hose to the wtpart as association “image”, does not matter if wtpart owner is at released status.  The wtpart is not added nor checked out to the workspace.

I am thinking all the new hoses revision does not matter and they need to be in “in-work” state. The reason for them to be in “in-work” status, if that assembly comes up for revision and the hose end connection is moved, we don’t want to revise that hose when it is still the same hose, but configured different.

Am I on right track or missing something?

8 REPLIES 8

Hi Brad

may be just a question about the "generic hose" ... by generic , you mean a family table generic ?

In that case , and in general, do not use a family table Generic as primary "owner" association to a WTpart  . cause you will need to always revise the WTpart when changing or adding an instance

seems to gonna work if your generic model is "just" a simple CAD model : let's says the flat hose

regards

Gregory

I should have been clear, it is not a family table generic.  It would be a simple CAD model.  Thanks for responding!

Hi Brad,

Using a same/similar approach but keep Revisions aligned for clarity.  I'd say you're on the right track.

As a sidebar, it would be really nice to use flexible parts functionality for this but I have not been able to figure out a way.  I have seen examples of flexible parts applied to a hose use case, but nothing that suits the "what would it look like if I tried using this existing hose" rather the actual length of hose seems to vary based on installation.  Flexible parts would allow one CAD model per WTPart and the CAD model would get it's installed shape from the positioning of the ends and any support points in a using assembly.

Keir,

Yes, it would be nice to use flexible part functionality for these hoses.  I definitely have started to do away with family tables and turn the original family table generic into a flexible component.  Like you said, allows one CAD model per WTPart.   Our candidates for flexible components has been tie wraps, clamps, springs, etc.

Keir,

The only problem with flexible components is that they do not play nice with positioning assemblies in visualization.  So if you need to use positioning assemblies for your viewables, then this is not an option.

I'm going to need to dig into Positioning Assemblies and their use.  Anything further on how flexible parts do not play nice?  Is this when the assembly is defining shape through top down referencing?  When shape defintiion is "self contained" does it work better?

From my understanding, they do not work at all with positioning assemblies.  I have just started working on them and it is my biggest concern.

Brad,

I believe you are on the right track with the currently available functionality, your approach is similar to ours. For routing a cable or hose differently in different assemblies you nearly always need to model the hose differently, this cannot usually be accomplished using flexibility. Flexibility allows you to modify dimensions on a component within the assembly, so unless the routing is very similar you have to model it differently. This means you end up with multiple CAD files associated as Image to the same WTPart, which also has to have a default UOM of Each. Not really an ideal approach but it is all that works just now.

We do Release the WTPart and associated CAD, but we have an “iterate” (zero track) Change Notice process that allows modification without revising. This works by first requiring an Approval and changing the state of affected data to Rework allowing modification, then a Submit and Promote to get it back to Released. This category of Change is only allowed for modifications that do not affect the physical part in anyway, so it is mostly useful for correcting typos, attribute values and document links. Re-routing cables and hoses is a special case and arguably something of a grey area.

Top Tags