cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

PV hangs when trying to save a markup

MikeFoster
2-Guest

PV hangs when trying to save a markup

All,

One of our users can't save markups in ProductView - When he hits Save, PV hangs.

- He can log into Windchill and do all the same things (view, checkin, checkout, revise, etc...) that any other user in his group can do.

- A detailed comparison of his active directory account properties shows they are the same as a large number of other users who don't have this issue.

- He is a member of the same mix of Windchill groups and AD groups that all our other design engineers are in.

- The problem occurs no matter which physical machine he logs in to.

- We even have an old VM test server with an early test migration of Intralink on it and the problem occurs just as on the production server.

- PTC tech support has had me generate verbose log files and hasn't found any issue.

If you've run into anything like this before please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike Foster
ATK

Intralink 9.1 M060
7 REPLIES 7

Thanks to Rajesh for providing the solution to a problem that has mystified PTC and plagued one of our users for almost a year!

The user changed his password so there are no numbers at the end and the problem described in my post below is resolved.

Thanks,

Mike Foster
ATK

The resolution may seem absurd, but we had the same issue with an user in our organization. When we ran a dynatrace for the transaction we found that the request was going to port 05. The user's password was something like ********05. When we changed the password the issue got resolved. The scenario what you have described below is exactly the same scenario what the user in our organization had. Try changing his password, probably with numeric's in the middle.

Best Regards
Rajesh Balasundaram
----------

Interesting thread here.

If you set your system up to use your corporate LDAP, those typically are configured to reject passwords that end in digits and are obviously not strong.

The reason is people will tend to unsecure passwords like
Lassie1 in January
Lassie3 in March
Lassie6 in June
Etc.

Every time the system makes them change their password they just use the same one and change the number at the end.

David Haigh
jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:MikeFoster)

On 1/5/2012 3:33 PM, Haigh, David A. wrote:
>
> Interesting thread here.
>
> If you set your system up to use your corporate LDAP, those typically
> are configured to reject passwords that end in digits and are
> obviously not strong.
>
> The reason is people will tend to unsecure passwords like
>
> Lassie1 in January
>
> Lassie3 in March
>
> Lassie6 in June
>
From an end user perspective that's the only sane way to deal with a
requirement to change one's password frequently. Either that or
something like 1Lassie, etc.

It's either that or write the password down on a whiteboard or put it
under one's keyboard.

Expecting something more/different from real world users is expecting
miracles that simply won't happen -- irrespective of how secure it is or
isn't.

--
Jess Holle

I asked PTC to look into whether or not this is a Windchill security issue since it's obviously not handling the active directory passwords very well.

Mike Foster

Jess said:
From an end user perspective that's the only sane way to deal with a requirement to change one's password frequently. Either that or something like 1Lassie, etc.

It's either that or write the password down on a whiteboard or put it under one's keyboard.

Expecting something more/different from real world users is expecting miracles that simply won't happen -- irrespective of how secure it is or isn't.

Well then you have never had to work in a very secure environment. I have at least 12 different passwords for different networks and different software and different user account privileges. Some have to be machine generated, other I can make myself with restrictions. Count your blessings.

David Haigh
jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:MikeFoster)

And how many of the employees there secretly write all the passwords
down as they can't remember any of them otherwise?

It's not a matter of convenience -- it's a matter of being able to keep
this straight without a memory aid.

This is why I had to end up using LastPass to manage my passwords. Works great, I highly recommend it.

www.lastpass.com<">http://www.lastpass.com>

-marc

Announcements

Top Tags