cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Part Classification Facet showing a mix of display name and internal name

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

Part Classification Facet showing a mix of display name and internal name

This is a screen grab from the Part Classification facet. I use an identifier of no significance when defining the nodes but the display name is meaningful. Odd that I am seeing a mix of sometimes display name and sometimes internal node name (node###). What gives? Did it just get tired and give up? Windchill 11.1 M020.

avillanueva_0-1656429231899.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have a theory. I am not sure how to test as that depends on the source of the issue. I noticed that in the branch below, the lowest level are duplicated. Now, when it comes to the Part Classification facet, only the leaf nodes are displayed. This presents a problem for the code as it now has two different nodes with the exact same name. You can see below my attempt to alter the Military Zener category to no immediate effect.  I observed that when I asked to see all Diodes and then looked at the facet, I saw only one listed for each display name and its counterpart was displayed as an internal name. There seems to be a if/then/else rule in place but not sure if this is Windchill or SOLR as the source. I should be able to vary the node display names slightly to avoid this situation but would like to know how best to correct if I see it in production.

avillanueva_0-1657049763270.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I have a theory. I am not sure how to test as that depends on the source of the issue. I noticed that in the branch below, the lowest level are duplicated. Now, when it comes to the Part Classification facet, only the leaf nodes are displayed. This presents a problem for the code as it now has two different nodes with the exact same name. You can see below my attempt to alter the Military Zener category to no immediate effect.  I observed that when I asked to see all Diodes and then looked at the facet, I saw only one listed for each display name and its counterpart was displayed as an internal name. There seems to be a if/then/else rule in place but not sure if this is Windchill or SOLR as the source. I should be able to vary the node display names slightly to avoid this situation but would like to know how best to correct if I see it in production.

avillanueva_0-1657049763270.png

Well, that was easy, server restart after I edited the display names. Likely caching involved.

avillanueva_1-1657050285681.png

As an aside, you might ask why don't you simply use the display name as the internal name? This is why:

avillanueva_0-1657051089107.png

Once you have parts classified to the node, you cannot change the internal ID.  Make sense since this is what is recoded in the DB. My practice is to set internal ID to just a generic, non-intelligent identifier. Let the display name vary as needed. This way, if changes occur like I had today, you aren't stuck with an internal name that is reflection of what it was in the past. Only draw back is with import from spreadsheet, you need to cross reference to enter there right internal ID name.

Top Tags