cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Partslink

RexSnider
1-Newbie

Partslink

Is it possible to hook up with others attempting to implement Partslink in their operations? The initial installation and configuration is difficult to grasp. Especially when ones responsibilities are over all PDM and CAD administration. You are constantly pulled from one high level concern to another. Getting back to Partslink, which is quite complicated, is like having to relearn every time. Would be nice to connect with others that have gone through it or can educate. I do not see a structured session provided but would be willing to host in my room even after the regularly scheduled sessions.

20 REPLIES 20

To be sure I am clear about where I would like to meet up with others, I am speaking of the Planet PTC event in Orlando, Florida beginning June 3rd.

Rex, the group from Alcon would very much like to meet w/you on this. Let's definitely set a time. Maybe we can get a conf room for this. Please email me direct: mike.lockwood@alconlabs.com.

Rex, I would like to meet as well. I have been working off and on with partslink for the past 9 months at Stanley Black and Decker and still have much to learn. You can message me through the PlanetPTC site or directly at johnny.leeper@sbdinc.com.

This could turn into something very good. I will try to convince PTC to get us an expert. Walter would be awesome to have there.

flamy
10-Marble
(To:RexSnider)

I am going to do a presentation on this subject at PlanetPTC , including showing some of the major work we are doing in this area , June 5 , 11:15AM in Gatlin A2 : "Reduce Cost of Goods Sold with Preferred Parts, Materials and Suppliers"

The product manager for this area, Divi Lohiya, will also be available at the Exhibit and is doing a presentation on Search (thanks Mike L. for all your feedback on Search earlier this year).

~ Francois

This is great information. I hope others who have responded to my post see this note from you and we can steel you and Divi away for some one on the few others of us. I would say one on one but there are a number of people interested in and concerned with PartsLink.

flamy
10-Marble
(To:RexSnider)

Yes no problem .. I also think there is a PTCUser TC session by Divi after the event on PartsLink and SUMA.

The UX lab is also testing the next UI for PartsLink classification and search if you want to register to it : http://live.planetptc.com/Agenda/UXLab.aspx

~ Francois

What may not be covered in either of your presentations is the nuts and bolts of PartsLink. The administration part of it all. Understanding how to develop it. Setting it up from the get go. Understanding and working with Classification and Schema. There is no good, clear and understandable documentation set up in a logical structure that one can follow when installing and tweaking the functionality. PTC-U has a series of demos that can be useful for the end user but nothing for the admin.

This functionality requires a devoted individual to work it constantly because it is so complicated that if you have many hats as an admin. you have to relearn partslink every time you want to modify it. Support is hard to come by for this on the PTC end. However, when he is able to get to you, Walter is amazing and tremendous and outstanding. PTC has done the right thing by having him on their team.

So, what I hope to see and get from my time at the convention is a better understanding of PartsLink as an admin so when I get back to my office I can fully implement a functional, operating process and be able to develop a training program for my users. I see the value of PartsLink and want this to succeed especially since we have been paying for this for so long already. In my efforts to get others together on this topic we can compare notes and talk through the issue we each have had in trying to get this up and running.

I really do not want to see any demonstrations that are more selling points cause I am already sold. I want this app to be functional and easier to work with.

I hear rumors that PTC is stepping back a bit on PartsLink in its present structure with the direction to a new look some time in the future. That is all well and good but do not leave us struggling now. If it is intended to change PartsLink drastically, what of migrating what has been done and supporting the Admin so it goes easily?

These are some of the concerns and thoughts I have. Others may have more.

I cannot stay for any sessions after the event. I have to leave Wednesday afternoon.

Ditto to all that Rex has stated above. We have three people on the team that are very experienced with and knowledgable with PartsLink, but we have not gotten it into use for exactly the reasons stated. There is essentially no documentation for admin's that can be followed and used without 100 tech support calls.

What I would love personally in this proposed session that Rex is putting together in Orlando (instead of a sales presentation) is to have someone from PTC actually install and get PartsLink running on a test Windchill system, and then add just a few classification nodes and actually classify about 5 WTParts. At each step, the person should show where in PTC documentation it says what to do. It would also be great to somehow document how the classification approach (the node structure) will be implemented prior to implementing (very minimal for this).

I'll bring a new install of WIndchill 10.1 on my laptop for this purpose if helpful.

I am not sure if this will answer all your questions, but there are some documents available on PTC.COM support that describe the overall process from the admin and end user point of view :

Part & Search classification - practices test cases - 9.1 http://www.ptc.com/view?im_dbkey=108968

Part & Search classification practices test cases 10.0 http://www.ptc.com/view?im_dbkey=126478

~ Francois

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:flamy)

So, just today we installed PartsLink on a test 9.1 M040 system (using the document linked above). First thing: Go to Search, see Classification Search now appears. Select it - get this error.

We've seen this type fo thing over and over in the past and each time have just abandoned the effort - too painful.

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: An exception occurred processing JSP page /netmarkets/jsp/websearch/start.jsp at line 46 43: request.setAttribute(NmPresentationData.Attributes.PRESENTATION_DATA, data); 44: 45: // get the windchillURL 46: cServices services = new cServices(pageContext); 47: cAppProperties cApp=services.getProps(); 48: 49: WTProperties wtp = WTProperties.getLocalProperties(); 

Well, turns out it's a simple matter of starting the PartsLink process.

Also got CounterPart installed ok (on multiple clients). Using the OTB classification, there is an error which prevents checkin. Cannot find the error or how to fix it.

Just put in this tech support call: 10827845

Just installed PartsLink on a test 9.1 M040 system (ok).

Just intalled CounterPart on a client (ok).

Using the OTB Windchill_Standard_Classification.cpj, and attempting to check it in, there is an error in the Classification. I remember doing this same thing about a year ago and abandoned it. Please advise how to find and correct the error and check in the Windchill_Standard_Classification.cpj attribute node structure.

thank you

Mike,

PTC Tech support should be able to help you. There is a specific way to load a CPJ the first time but I do not remember the details.

~ Francois

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Ok - Actually made some very good progress. Got a partial structure checked in and new Parts are now being clasified. Haven't yet gotten the search to work.

Will slow down, carefully read and follow the document - and will stop complaining for a few days. Really hoping to get this working and in use! Users will love it.

thanks

Well, we now have:

- PartsLink installed on a test 10.1 server

- CounterPart installed on multiple clients

- A schema checked in, then checked out / edited and checked in multiple times

- A few Parts created and classified

- Classification search working for typed-in NUMBER; selecting the image currently returns a blank page

Intending to have some more learned and in place by Orlando meeting.

You are about where I am at as well. I am glad you got there. Do you still intend to bring a system with all for this meeting? I will begin the search for a room and time frame for our gathering.

Mike,

May I call you this afternoon? My email is rex.snider@ttifloorcare.com.

Mike,

Would you be able to locate a room for us to gather? I would think the best time for all of us would be 5pm Monday or Tuesday. We would probably need a room with projection. If you are not able to help would you know who I might contact to get htis done?

brawat
1-Newbie

Hello Francois,

Can you share the case study or relevant information for "Reduce Cost of Goods Sold with Preferred Parts, Materials and Suppliers" as mentioned above in your post.

Thankyou,

Birendra

Top Tags