cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Performance Impact of PSM 4.0 over Windchill 10.2

habat
4-Participant

Performance Impact of PSM 4.0 over Windchill 10.2

We are looking for information related to the performance Impact (overhead) of monitoring Windchill with PSM 4.0 (OOTB Installation of Windchill 10.2 M020/M030 and PSM 4.0).

We would be very interested if anyone can share experience (and figures) related to this performance impact

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
habat
4-Participant
(To:BineshKumar1)

Binesh - Thanks for the PSM Performance Tips. I have created a 4-slider around this topic including your recommandation and tips. I have attached this deck to this reply

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BineshKumar1
12-Amethyst
(To:habat)

We recently started using PSM 4.0 with 10.2 M030 and have not seen any performance impact of this. We have not performed a MULG after PSM 4, but the users have not noticed any performance difference. I have experience in using PSM 3.0 with 10.1 M040 for a large global deployment of Windchill as well, we haven't noticed any significant performance (~5% on RT) overhead contributed by PSM in our MULG tests.

It is worth reviewing few points

1. Ensure the UEM is turned off if you don't have licenses for that.
  2. If you have remote file servers with not so good WAN connectivity, I don't recommend them to be monitored by PSM as it creates a lot of traffic in the network (PSM agent, collector on the fileserver to PSM server)
  3. Ensure that you account for the CPU and memory over head by PSM agents and collectors (~5% on CPU, about 50mb per agent)
  4. If you are planning to use the same PSM Server for multiple environments, make sure you size it right

Thank you

Binesh Kumar

habat
4-Participant

Binesh,

Thanks for your quick feedback.

Have you had any need to consider tuning dynatrace Server for considering Production Settings. We have applied few settings on our side and we have reduced the overhead in a very senstive way, especially when it comes to information managed on a Purepath perspective.

I can provide details if you are interested...

HTH!&VBR/H

BineshKumar1
12-Amethyst

Hello Herve.

Absolutely, I am interested to hear more about the settings which you have in place.

What we did from a performance perspective were

• we excluded a few sensors and  purepath measures from being captured which are not really relevant to our business use cases.
  • Tuned the advanced agent mapping settings for Agent - sensors/transactions
  • Tuned the incident rules

Thank you,

Binesh

habat
4-Participant

Binesh - Thanks for the PSM Performance Tips. I have created a 4-slider around this topic including your recommandation and tips. I have attached this deck to this reply

BineshKumar1
12-Amethyst

Thank you! Herve. This is very good information. While I agree that response time depends on a lot of other factors as well, but still I feel 17% overhead is a bit on the higher side. Did you observe same level of overhead on your other environments as well?

Thank you

Binesh Kumar

Cliff
23-Emerald II

Binesh,

The performance impact can be safely ignored 🙂 But make sure PSM Collect is at same LAN with Windchill (ping latency 1ms)

Cliff

Top Tags