cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Poor Performance on Client, Excellent Performance on server, Excellent Performance as Consultant

BrianSullivan
9-Granite

Poor Performance on Client, Excellent Performance on server, Excellent Performance as Consultant

Hello

Has anyone resolved system wide universal performace drag?

Assisting a customer Windchill 9.1 M060 Server with SQL Server;

Standard Performance Improvements, Apache, Tomcat and Windchiil (2 MS, 1 BG) in Place. Decent Memory Settings.

All Company Users show very poor performance, to Wildfire 4.0 or Standalone Browser. Poor Performance from IE AND Mozilla in Standalone Browser..

Up to a 1 Minute to open a Folder in Standalone Browserwith 10 components in it, or to Open Details Page of an Assembly.

WF4.0 Much worse.(Over Hour to bring 1GB of Cache back to Computer after selecting a Workspace)

However,

On Server, Log in as Site Admin or Active Directory User response is 1 second. Small Company so No Secondary Server with Database Software to Test From.

However,

As Consultant, on Non-Company Laptop through VPN to Network

3 REPLIES 3

Hi Brian,

We also faced the similar issues in last month when we migrated from Oracle to SQL 2005. Windchill we are using is 9.1M060.

The issue was with SQL database mainly.

PTC recommends to put limit for 'Maximum server memory' for SQL server. Change it as per your RAM capacity available. For 4 GB RAM server, it should be @ 1 GB. For 8GB RAM server it should be @ 3-4GB.

[cid:image002.jpg@01CE7EE3.7362E4E0]

Also there are guidelines available to configure tempdb file for SQL server. Just check on PTC site.

Best Regards,
~Amit Lonkar

Thanks Amit,
The Server is Undersized... I checked we have set Maximum for SQL Server to 5GB, Reduced the MethodServers to 2048 Max/Min to stop from Paging.

But the Issue Remains that as a Consultant (Computer not controlled by IT, not a Domain Member) in a Remote State connecting through VPN that response is near instantaneous to Browse Simple Folders;
While Onsite Engineers, running equal or better hardware have extremely poor performance, as noted even an empty folder can take greater than a minute to open.

Server does have an Alias for Windchill Installation... small company so I think only one DNS and two DCs . Hoping someone ran into install IP Protocols, Company Group Policy Issue, Anti-Virus, Alias Resolution, Active Directory Issue...

Brian
RussPratt
5-Regular Member
(To:BrianSullivan)

Several years ago I experienced a similar situation at a client. It turned out that the client computers were all configured to do full virus scan on ALL data in/out. The performance was significantly improved by adding the Windchill Server to the "Trusted Site" lists in the browser and some configuration (I don't know the details) on the virus scan settings.

May not be your problem, but worth looking into.

Russ

Top Tags