cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

ProjectLink - Add to Project - Send to PDM

cc-2
6-Contributor

ProjectLink - Add to Project - Send to PDM

Hello everyone

We have being using PDMLink 9.1M050 for a few months now and have started to deploy ProjectLink.

A part of the complexity to create the correct access permission within a project, we are also confronted to the following issue.

Members cannot add document from PDMLink to a Project. Not even with the Share option.

I understand that selecting Check Out PDM requires to be able to check out the data in PDMLink, but if a user can read and download a data he should be able to share it with a project.

We have been told to add at a top level (PDM) in our domain policy for all users who needs to add to a project the permission Change Permission. We have done a test and it seems OK but we cannot figure out if we are not giving too many permissions.

It would have been easier to have a permission called Add to project for instance.

We have the same problem with Send to PDM. When having the permission Change Permission the users can send it to PDM but is it the correct approach to use Change Permission.

If you have any tips or recommendation, this will be very much appreciated.

Thank you all and happy new year

6 REPLIES 6
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:cc-2)

I put in a tech support call 3 separate times just to see if the same answer came back on this. Yes, the permission needed to add to Project actually is called "Change Permissions."
cc-2
6-Contributor

Hi

Thanks Mike.

Sounds bizarre that the permission to allow Add to project is called Change Permission. I wonder how many people got confused. In addition, the Add to project has two option Share and PDM Check Out. Obviously users should not be able to PDM Check Out when the data is released in PDMLink for instance, so I guess Change Permission will not allow PDM Check Out if the user does not have the Modify permission for the state release . Whouaa Knowing exactly the overall access permission of a user is not an easy task.

I do not understand why they did not simply create an access permission called

Add to Project - Share (and automatically grant the user all the access permission needed to share a document with a project for a given state)

Add to Project - PDM Check Out (and automatically grand the user all the access permission needed to pdm check out a document to a project for a given state).

Anyway, that is life.

Brian Sullivan sent me the attached file and I thought this could interest many of us.

Thanks all for your help

Best regards

bfrandsen
6-Contributor

Hi all
To allow users to add objects to a Project we just add them to the role
Collaboration Managers in the PDMLink context team and of course to the
team in the Project.
/Bjarne

NacNac MOTT <->
14-01-2011 15:02
Please respond to
NacNac MOTT <->

To
<->
cc

Subject
[solutions] - ProjectLink - Add to Project - Send to PDM

Hello everyone
We have being using PDMLink 9.1M050 for a few months now and have started
to deploy ProjectLink.
A part of the complexity to create the correct access permission within a
project, we are also confronted to the following issue.
Members cannot add document from PDMLink to a Project. Not even with the
Share option.
I understand that selecting Check Out PDM requires to be able to check out
the data in PDMLink, but if a user can read and download a data he should
be able to share it with a project.
We have been told to add at a top level (PDM) in our domain policy for all
users who needs to add to a project the permission Change Permission. We
have done a test and it seems OK but we cannot figure out if we are not
giving too many permissions.
It would have been easier to have a permission called Add to project for
instance.

We have the same problem with Send to PDM. When having the permission
Change Permission the users can send it to PDM but is it the correct
approach to use Change Permission.

If you have any tips or recommendation, this will be very much
appreciated.
Thank you all and happy new year

Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Send new post
via email Unsubscribe from this mailing list Manage your subscription
Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:

Try adding the users in the Collaboration Manager role in the team of the project. These users must be a member of the internal PDMLink Products and Libraries to be able to share and Send to PDM.
cc-2
6-Contributor

Hello all

thanks for your replies.

We tried Collaboration Manager and it did not make any different in Add to Project or Send to PDM.

So we decided to use Change Permission but then we noticed that users who did not have the Check Out option when a EPMDocument was released now have the Check Out. Also when they want to add a release file to a project. The only option, from our point of view, should be shared. Since it is released they should not be able to check it out, even if it is a PDM Check Out. With Change Permission they can add it to the project but also check out from PDM. So it is like curing an illness by another illness.

I still do not understand why it is so complicated in ProjectLink while it is quite easy in PDMLink to manage the access permissions.

Thx

Best regards

RussPratt
5-Regular Member

It is not clear whether or not you've found a resolution to your issue on this thread. While it is a complex topic due to the highly granular nature of access control policies in PDMLink/ProjectLink, I can provide some basic guidance on the subject of PDM/Project interoperability.

First - The Collaboration Manager role exists in all OOTB context templates with the primary purpose of granting the "Change Permissions" policy rule. If your implementation has modified the standard permissions for this role, or created "DENY" rules for Change Permissions in other roles, then you may not get the expected behavior. The description below assumes that the Collaboration Manager role is used to grant this permission, obviously, other mechanisms for granting it are also available. The key being that the user doing the sharing has been granted the Change Permissions rights.

To SHARE from PDM to Project -

• User is a Collaboration Manager participant in Source PDM context.
  • User has Read & Download permission to the object to be shared.
  • User is a participant in the target Project with Read & Modify permission to the target destination Folder.

To CHECK OUT from PDM to Project (or convert a Share to a Check Out)

• User is a Collaboration Manager participant in Source PDM context.
  • User has Read, Download & Modify (probably needs Modify Content as well)permission to the object to be shared.
  • User is a participant in the target Project with Read & Modify permission to the target destination Folder.

It is true that a user having the necessary Modify permision on the source object required to Check Out to a Project, will also have permission to Check Out in the source PDM context. This is because the object is being modified when Checked Out to a Project - a new "one-off" version is created to represent the working version of the object in the Project.

Russ

Top Tags