cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

ProjectLink: Upload problems due to Java release or Browser?

Lohbauer
1-Newbie

ProjectLink: Upload problems due to Java release or Browser?

We've had a spate of problems with uploading files into ProjectLink (WC9.0). I'm trying to eliminate culprits. I have heard of javaissues with ProjectLink.The problemcomes at the point the user click the browse button. It just stopsat thepoint of opening the dialog box. It isnot consistent to a particular release (though beyond java 6.6 seems to be the highest issue free release i've found). Has anyone experienced any problems with uploading like this? We are using IE 7. We've had folks go to Firefox also with problems.

Thanks,

Bob Lohbauer

3 REPLIES 3

You might try launching the Java console and see what errors you are seeing. We are on IE 7 as well and have experienced some of the issues you are talking about. One thing that helped in our enviroment was to make sure that the cache that Java is using has wide open access for the users to read/write to. Once we opened up that access, the Java console errors went away. In our location, the cache was installing to C:\Program Files\Java\Cache. By default, our security policies don't allow the type of read/write access the users need in that folder.

I don't want to assume what the error in Windchill looks like. However, there are a few problems(one may say features,lol) and workarounds that can be done to fix this java related issues in Windchill. Here's a few things to consider(this is related to Windchill9.0):

1. Java RMI issue. If your're getting some type of cacheDescriptor error,you may have to update Java Applet runtime parameters fromJava control panel. I've attached the process to this thread. This is a client specific fix. So this would need to be done on each client machine. Personally, I see this as just one more thing to maintain. PTC actually has a patch that you can install on the server to remedy this issue. The patchwill keep you from having to do this on every client. PTC canget you thismachine.

2. Must I useJavato upload files. If you don't really care rather Java is used to upload files, you can change your Windchill preference to use basic browser functionality to upload data. This will bypass Java, and your worries will be gone.

Thanks to all replied. There were two lines of thought with them all. The first was a diagnostic effort to better understand what build of Java causes the upload issue, and to all who followed the thread there were good ideas. The other has provided a useful workaround. One item I left out is our moving from WC 9.0 to 9.1. Once that is done I willdig intothe java setup and make it sing. Until then we are using Jason’sfallbackadvice of not using the Java applet to upload filesbut use the browser functionality.

Thanks again to all who replied. As a noobie admin I am very grateful for all the help.

Top Tags