cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Promotion request - Select participant

Spikaart
1-Newbie

Promotion request - Select participant

Hello all,

I've searched the archive about this and found some older threads but not much recent. Wondering if / hoping / things have improved in that last couple years on this. I want to be able to control what shows up in step three of a promotion request under the participant list. Currently, we get lots of roles and groups, some of which have some users listed under them. But non of the users are selectable induvidually. So my questions are these?

1. How do you control who/what shows up in this list?

2. How hard is it to control that?

3. Is it a bad idea to make individual users selectable in this list? We have a few lead design engineers and only one particular one of them would be required to approve a promotion request depending on what items are being promoted.

Any input on this would be much appreciated.

Also, any coments on the merit of using a CN over a PR in order to release things? I hear it gives more control but my concern is that it also adds a great deal of complexity to the process when we are simply trying move items to the next lifecycle state.

Steve Pikaart

4 REPLIES 4

1- You can't control this without customization. I just dug into this recently. This is extremely laughable as we've needed this for literally years. It so obvious, I just don't get it.

2- See #1.

3- I don't think it's a bad idea to make users selectable typically. A simple preference controls this in the preference manager>promotion process. Depends on your scenario though

CN vs PR

1- Use the Change process. Its nice and works well. Most companies need a formal change process anyways. In most post-modem case studies I've seen, the Windchill change process, when setup properly using best practices and not just mirroring existing/deprecated processes, cuts your cycle time in half or more.

2- If you are just moving objects to the next state, I'd wonder about that. Where is the formal change process happening? Is it just not required? That is pretty rare in my experience.

a. The change process is more work than the promotion if you are just doing it to change the state

b. If you want to use the change process, as it was intended, it needs to be configured. I strive for the utmost simplicity in interface and usage and it works very well. You can really do a lot of tailoring and make it simple. You'll get a lot more ROI starting out like that (CM 1.0) and can add complexity as the dust settles.
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:Spikaart)

Attached is something that I made up long ago trying to get my hands around how Promotion worked and where the opportunities are for managing who can be selected (building the Team instance). It's a bit out of date in terms of wizard screens due to the consolidation in 10.x.

Like most things in Windchill - complex but needs to be so in order to provide options. A few promotion preferences can make a huge difference to the business - need to really dig in and understand them.
Cat
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member
(To:MikeLockwood)

It is a nice reference.

A few slides attached explaining what influences the promotion creation process.

Regards Darren

Top Tags