cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Propagate Attachments CN-to-CA and/or CA-to-CN

DonSenchuk
7-Bedrock

Propagate Attachments CN-to-CA and/or CA-to-CN

I think I know the answer but it's always best to check before making a new product idea.

We currently have an medium-sized Change Notice process. Within that Change Notice there are two different Change Activities that get fired off at different times and for different purposes. Each Change Activity has it's own set of Attachments, of course and the Change Notice has it's own set of Attachments.

Trying to explain to all users that some of the documents they attach to the Change Activity really should be attached to the Change Notice is a challenge. Trying to explain that not every attached document in the Change Activity needs to be in the Change Notice is also a challenge. A certain percentage of users religiously attach everything to the CN even when it's not really relevant to downstream users of the CN. Others attach everything to the CA, making it more cumbersome for downstream uses to find the documents than if they were properly attached to the CN. Think of drawing markups being attached to the CA for rework purposes but they're unnecessary for anyone downstream to view (Quality, Purchasing, etc.).

Is there a way to set chosen attachments so they propagate between the CN and CA?

Not all attachments. Just ones chosen by the user (or reviewer).

I know it might make too much sense to exist, but I wanted to run it past the other Windchill gurus.

Of course the obvious answer from someone will be, "Just attach it in both places". That doesn't answer this question from one user (nearly word for word): "What do you mean I have to attach it twice? It's already in the system, why can't it just show up in both places without me having to attach it twice?" My answer contained cynicism.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags