cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Publish Job Timing Out on Thumbnail Creation

byork
17-Peridot

Publish Job Timing Out on Thumbnail Creation

I am having problems with some of my publish jobs timing out on thumbnail creation. If I go to the cad worker, I am seeing the thumbnails but they are not making the trip to the Windchill server. In the job monitor log I get that the worker was stopped. (screenshot attached to this)

I am curious if anyone else has had this issue.

Thanks id advance.

18 REPLIES 18

Having PDF's output in WC10 requires some additional setup on a CAD worker. This includes installing the Adobe Plugin and typically Adobe 9.X (10 breaks for some reason).

is it a problem with just drawings or is it all of the CAD as well?

[cid:image001.gif@01CE1EF5.643B1EE0]

Steve Vinyard
Senior Solution Architect

Brian,
Yes, I sometimes get the same error, but only with really big models (4000+ parts). I have tried increasing the adapter timeout, but is has not fixed the problem. We are running 10.1 M010 (at the moment, updating to M030 in the next 2 weeks).

Mike

There is a setting in the recipe file that you need to change. It's on Advanced > System I believe it's the Short Timeout Helper.

The knowledgebase had the exact error from the publish monitor, and told me which one to change.

Currently I have Short Timeout Helper set to 300 and Long Timeout Helper set to 3600.

This fixed the same issue for me.

Steve D.

rdrennen
1-Newbie
(To:byork)

I had the same problem.
In addition to having reader 9.x you also may need to:
From PTC TS:
Once you have determined you have Adobe Reader installed, please attempt to manually install the plugin.
The plugin referred to is the Acrobat plugin for Creo View. This can frequently be found under <creo view=" adapters=" install=" directory=">/pview_batch/resources/acrobat/CreoElementsView_Acrobat_Plugin.msi. Try navigating to this file and launching it so that the plugin may be installed. Be sure to then open Adobe Reader once in order to accept the Adobe license agreement, then attempt to configure the thumbnail.
Ray
Ray Drennen
MCAD Administrator
Otis Elevator Company
5 Farm Springs Rd.
Farmington, CT 06032
860-676-5619 - voice
860-353-1356 - eFax

byork
17-Peridot

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far!

I should mention that this is happening most of the time on our drawings. These drawing are the master for our larger assemblies. Now the drawing generally only contain an empty simplified reps but the number varies on how many objects it says it pulls workspace but it is anywhere from 650 and up. I have tired including a view to see if that helped but it does not.

So here are the recommendation/suggestions so far. Some/most of which I have already tried. See below for my comments/questions. Still broken for me....

Having PDF's output in WC10 requires some additional setup on a CAD worker. This includes installing the Adobe Plugin and typically Adobe 9.X (10 breaks for some reason).
is it a problem with just drawings or is it all of the CAD as well?
[cid:image001.gif@01CE1F22.96A49280]

Steve Vinyard
Senior Solution Architect

We were seeing this error only for drawings and they were larger drawings typically 900+ objects. After changing the setting that I posted my issue was resolved.

What is the error message in the Publish Monitor for that job? Can you post that?

Steve D.
rdrennen
1-Newbie

We also has the issue with large drawings 436 objects + 34 Sheets
PDF file was 58 Mb.

The error show up on the cad worker machine
Creo(R) View - pvsthumb.exe has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available

When installing the plugin for adobe you will get an message “Failed to install acrobat plugin” if you have the wrong version of reader.

Ray D.

byork
17-Peridot

Ray,

Where did you see the error?

I haven't found a good one yet.

Brian
byork
17-Peridot

Steve,

I have mine set to 600 for the short and 3600 for the long timeout.

Here is a typical log.

[cid:image003.png@01CE1F2D.56F77390]

Brian
rdrennen
1-Newbie

Brian,
I was logged on to the cad worker machine and it showed up on the desktop when the job timed out.
Ray
mdavis-2
1-Newbie

Brian,

What happens when you try to perform this manually?

byork
17-Peridot

Ray,

I don't get that and I'm pretty sure the thumbnail is fine because in the PVPublish folder the thumbnail and PDF are both there and can be opened.

Brian
rdrennen
1-Newbie

Brian,
If that is the case the only other modification I made was the short timeout to 400 and the long timeout to 5400 in the recipe editor.
Here is the recipe from my cad worker
Ray
file=proe2pv-rcp
ver=5
lastp=spec
adapter/outputThumbnail=1
adapter/outputDXFDrawing=4
adapter/regenerateModel=1
adapter/regenerateDrawing=1
adapter/pdfFontControl=1
adapter/pdfColorControl=2
adapter/pdfUsePenTable=1
adapter/serverVersion=1000
adapter/proeCommand=C:\/ptc\/Creo 2.0\/Parametric\/bin\/parametric.bat
adapter/timeoutShortHelper=400
adapter/timeoutLong=5400
adapter/timeoutLongHelper=5400
adapter/timeoutShort=400
adapter/c0/name=ProE Command
adapter/c1/name=ProE Plotter
adapter/c10/name=Use ProE Tessellator
adapter/c2/list=As Defined in ProE|Fixed Below
adapter/c6/list=ProE Config|Degree|Degree-Minute|Degree-Minute-Second
adapter/c9/name=Use ProE

byork
17-Peridot

The thing is that the Thumbnail is being generated very shortly after the request is made. So I'm pretty sure I'm not timing out.

[cid:image001.jpg@01CE1F31.A816FB20]

[cid:image002.jpg@01CE1F31.A816FB20]
rdrennen
1-Newbie

Brian,
I was seeing the same message. It did not complete the thumbnail creation. Check the worker log file on the cadworker.
Mine has this:
[2013-01-21 10:48:34] Converting Author States : COMPLETE
[2013-01-21 10:48:34] Generating Output : COMPLETE
[2013-01-21 10:48:35] Generating thumbnail : COMPLETE
[2013-01-21 13:43:23] proe2pv Warning: Child lost connection to Parent

Ray
byork
17-Peridot

Ray,

Pretty much what my log looks like. I don't always get the Child lost connection to Parent though. Matter of fact the first time I noticed that was today.

Brian
rdrennen
1-Newbie

Brian,
This is where I had to make sure I performed the plugin installation according to
From PTC TS:
Once you have determined you have Adobe Reader installed, please attempt to manually install the plugin.
The plugin referred to is the Acrobat plugin for Creo View. This can frequently be found under <creo view=" adapters=" install=" directory=">/pview_batch/resources/acrobat/CreoElementsView_Acrobat_Plugin.msi. Try navigating to this file and launching it so that the plugin may be installed. Be sure to then open Adobe Reader once in order to accept the Adobe license agreement, then attempt to configure the thumbnail.

Highlighted is important step.
Ray
byork
17-Peridot

Ray,

Do that step matter which user does that?

Brian
Top Tags