cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Publishing Office Doc's in 10.1 without Adobe Lifecycle

WayneBeck
1-Newbie

Publishing Office Doc's in 10.1 without Adobe Lifecycle

Is this possiable? I thought I have seen a few presentations the last two years at PLanet PTC talking on how to do this. Any input would be great.

8 REPLIES 8
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:WayneBeck)

Not sure I want the answer.
We just spent $16K buying the Adobe Lifecycle ES3 so we can move forward with Windchill 10+ upgrade.

Beck,

- Find out a PDF printer than can convert office documents to PDF (there
are several free/licensed printers available online).
- Write a script (should run in command line) to trigger generation of PDF
from given input office document

Note: On Windows, you can write VBScript to print office document through
PDF printer

- Use GenericWorker configuration to configure a Custom worker for
publishing office documents

TPI describes how to configure a custom CAD worker:

Hi Wayne,

PTC is favoring Adobe Lifecycle Server.It solves the multiple publish issue of multiple Document workers and parallel publishing of office files.

Regards,

Patrick

In Reply to Wayne Beck:

Is this possiable? I thought I have seen a few presentations the last two years at PLanet PTC talking on how to do this. Any input would be great.

Recently I have implement this (converting MS word document to PDF ). There are few opensource API available (http://angelozerr.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/how-to-convert-docxodt-to-pdfhtml-with-java/) which will convert office Document to PDF. There few limitation of opensource API to PDF conversion like font, formatting mismatched etc..

you can download office document to some temporary location on server > Use opensource API to convert it to PDF and upload that PDF as representation to word document(WTDocument).

Hope this helps !!!

Thanks,

Shreyas

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

One of the main reasons PTC moved to Adobe LiveCycle is becuase Adobe retired the Distiller product.
http://www.adobe.com/products/distiller-server/faq.html

-Scott

GKelly
10-Marble
(To:sm)

Hi Scott,

It looks like Adobe LiveCycle ES4 (latest version) doesn't support MS Office documents beyond Office 2010.  We currently run 2010 on our publishers while the rest of the company is on 2013 and haven't had too many issues.  I don't expect the use case of Office 2016 (user) to Office 2010 (publisher) will be quite as compatible.  What are my options to make this work?  Is there an alternative product to Adobe LiveCycle that will need to be reviewed?

Thanks,

-Gregg

kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:sm)

Scott - are you able to comment on whether or not an implementation could use LiveCycle functionality over and above what the Office Worker does with the included license? 

BryanK
14-Alexandrite

Just to start this up again.

Has anybody out there got something that can convert to PDF but not using Adobe?

Top Tags