cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Questions about Windchill's database sizing

CHASEONHO
18-Opal

Questions about Windchill's database sizing

Hello
Beginner of Windchill.
I have some questions about the database.
I would appreciate your reply.

1. When you install Windchill, you specify the initial size of the database.
Then how do you set it up for configuration?

2. Will it automatically create a new instance when the set size is exceeded?

3. How is Windchill's data stored in the database? Metadata format? Physical data?

4. How do I check where my Windchill's data is stored in my database?

5. Please let me know if there is a big difference between oracle and sql server

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:CHASEONHO)

1) I set it to the largest size. It will adjust automatically as your system grows. My database is at 25.7GB and over 2.5 million files.

2) No, it extends the tables, not a new instance.

3) Data is stored in 2 parts, metadata and the CAD files. Enable file vaults for the CAD datafiles so they are not stored as BLOBs in the DB. Metadata is stored in DB tables. There are many tables and relationships.

4) PTC has scripts that TS will send you, if you ask, that will check your DB size and if your BLOBs are growing. Set file vaults as you do NOT want your data in BLOBs.

5) I have played with SQLserver but use Oracle for my production system. Not much difference depending on how large your database gets. While I never ran my production data in SQLserver, I have heard that as it gets larger it slows down more than Oracle. There are a few differences in the commands used to manage the 2 DB choices.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

1) I set it to the largest size. It will adjust automatically as your system grows. My database is at 25.7GB and over 2.5 million files.

2) No, it extends the tables, not a new instance.

3) Data is stored in 2 parts, metadata and the CAD files. Enable file vaults for the CAD datafiles so they are not stored as BLOBs in the DB. Metadata is stored in DB tables. There are many tables and relationships.

4) PTC has scripts that TS will send you, if you ask, that will check your DB size and if your BLOBs are growing. Set file vaults as you do NOT want your data in BLOBs.

5) I have played with SQLserver but use Oracle for my production system. Not much difference depending on how large your database gets. While I never ran my production data in SQLserver, I have heard that as it gets larger it slows down more than Oracle. There are a few differences in the commands used to manage the 2 DB choices.

Dear  BenLoosli

I really appreciate the detailed and friendly answers.

However, I do not understand the use of VAULT for CAD data.

Could you explain a little more?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

A Windchill Vault is just a location on a hard disk where Windchill stores the actual CAD files.

I have vaults for parts, documents and library parts. Each of these vaults have many sub-folders in them with a max size of 50,000 files. These vaults are mapped by Windchill to a physical file folder on my server.

Dig out the documentation in the WIndchill Enterprise Administration Guide on how to setup vaults and what system parameters you need to set to use them effeicently.

Thanks!!!

Welcome Windchill beginner...

For those old enough to remember, the database is like the 3 x 5" card catalog in a Library and the vaulted files like the books on the shelf in the library.

The card catalog expands (by chunks) as needed to accomodate more cards (which represent both more books and every action taken in the system).

NOTE: It's still absolutely unbelievable to me that this is the default but as installed, Windchill actually stores all the big (CAD and other) files in the database - as BLOB content.  You have to change one or more "fv" properties in order to store the files as they should be.  If you don't, the database grows extremely fast and slows everything down.

ALSO: It is recommended to allow the Windchill installer to create the database, given the database installation - and it does so from template.  Many DBA's like to create the database and have it selected during the Windchill insllation - resulting in many database parameters not being per the template and requiring manual changes later.  For Oracle, one critical performance-related parameter is 100 by default and needs to be 10 for Windchill.

Good luck! 

Thanks mlockwood-2 for your kindly reply

thank you so much!

Top Tags